Electric distributer and rpm gauge. help!

Fine69dime

i have an electric distributer i need to hook up, have new coil too, but dont know what wires go where and dont want to just start cutting them for trial and error method, any word on this would be appriciated.

also, my rpm gauge went out, and never had to deal with them before either, any info on this would be a big help aswell,

thanks

Erick

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yoou never have to cut any wires just use the +side of coil as you main point. or add a dual piggy back connector that plugs in to the +side coil.

There are couple different drwaing out these and one on this site in the "HOW TO" section that 72adstunwagoin drew up.

blk/wht and blk/blu and the B of the Matchbox and all hook up at the + side of coil.

C is - side of coil that it.

Some people dont hook up(short) the blk/blu to the blk/wht. It s up to you but I think it would start better if you do hook them up.

I cant post photos up anymore so youll have to find it on your own

i have an electric distributer i need to hook up, have new coil too, but dont know what wires go where and dont want to just start cutting them for trial and error method, any word on this would be appriciated.

also, my rpm gauge went out, and never had to deal with them before either, any info on this would be a big help aswell,

thanks

Erick

If you have factory wiring for a tachometer then the Black/Green strip wire from the tachometer should be connected to the + of the coil as well as the Black/Blue stripe from the ignition (start position) and the Black/White from the fuse box (ignition 'on' position)

The old ballast resistor should be removed and not used if you are replacing the factory coil with one that is EI compatible.

thanks for the info on the distributer, i pulled it out of a running 610 from the early 80's, still in good condition, its a 4 point system i think.

the tachometer is stock, any more info on this would be great

Better check that, the only L4 with EI dizzy in the '80s was the 720 truck. If it is from a 610 only the California models got the EI ignition and they were the remote igniter type. Did you get a box with it like this:

DatsunEI007Large.jpg

I guess a better question would be, does your distributor look like this under the cap:

EIdizzymatchbox.jpg

... or like this:

EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg