5 speed tranny for l20b

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it going into a 521 or 620? 521- will require that you modify the front flange [welded] & shortening the front shaft & trans. mount. 620- if the 4 speed is a long tail its a direct swap, just swap the trans. mounts [bolt holes r the same]. If the 4 speed is a short tail youll need to shorten the front shaft & trans. mount. Bleach has more trans. knowledge than me but are all 4 speeds long tails?

Ok there is only one junk yard in the colorado springs area that has Datsuns and I work in it on Saturdays. Last Sat I made time and searched the place the only one I found was in a 82 z22 and it won't work with out modifications. there was a 510 with one but it was messed up and would not shift. the 240 and 280zs had four speeds or automatics. The only option from there is a Automatic out of a 80 L20B.

Lance

My '74 parts truck had a longtail in it, and the factory manual for '74 only shows the F4W71B. But... I have a '74 with a dogleg in it, which is a short transmission, but obviously not stock. If anything it has to do with the date of manufacture. Part of the problem is it's very hard to find a Datsun (especially ones in parts-truck condition) that hasn't had something changed. I've owned a total of one Datsun 620 that had the original engine still in place- and that was the parts truck.

Anyhow, easy way to tell is crawl underneath. If it has a square pan on the bottom that can be unbolted, it's a shorttail 4-speed. If the tranny is cast all-round, with no steel plate it's likely a longtail (doglegs also have no bottom-plate)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.