More rear lowering questions

You are right about the smaller diameter tube kits...they are NOT out there. This will take some mix-matching to make it happen. Have a local axle, spring or hardware shop help you...they really will be interested in being part of the solution after all the running around you had to do.

regarding the collar clamps...here is my 2cents worth...

I have been a wrench for a long time and have seen so many really bad equipment failures...but never ever have seen this type of clamp (when properly installed:) fail.

They are used in machinery applications from time to time with great success as well...again..PROPER install!

Look at Home Depot type stores and other large wherehouse places...these clamps often hold up massive amounts of weight on shelving units. Way more than 300-500 pounds!

The end is in sight man... :cool:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eventually I plan to lower my wagon. I looked around for U-bolts that would fit the smaller axle tubes, but everything seems to be sized for trucks. I just found this website:

www.thesuspensionking.com

You just put in the dimensions you want, and they make them for you. $6 each. I think I might give them a try.

Nice I'm going to check locally first but I will definetly check this out.

So,

After doing much searching I have some more questions. I have already been urged not to do leaf spring flipping but just in case I don't have another choice my question is this: From what I have read it seems that you must add another leaf when doing this where do you get this other leaf?

Shaft collars are available at Grainger:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?op=search&N=16327&Ne=10071&in_dim_search=1

I got my U-bolts and lowering blocks at Benz Spring in Portland. You probably have similar shops locally. Due to the small axle tube diameter and the narrow spring width, I could not find any "kits" through the auto parts chain stores. A 4" drop is quite a lot. Keep in mind that at some point a flat tire could result in a rapid stop if your U-bolts are lower than your rim's lowest point.

As for the spring flip, you don't need to add any springs. Just shuffle and flip until you reach the desired ride height.

I got the shaft collars on the front suspension and I have to say that I am very satisfied with the outcome. I put the left one slightly too low to start with and rubbed some of the tire off until I fixed it the next day. At this point my A-arms are completely parallell with the axle and the ground and the car handles much better. though this would be the ideal postion to leave the front of the car I am going to go lower when I can get some coil-over sleeves. :P

Looks Great Mang! P.S. When you cuttin off those flares for me? :cool:

soon enough they will be cut off before golden gardens, if your going to come out I can bring them for you.

if your still after some 2" blocks, the pair i have are too narrow and wont fit over the wagon spring pack stud.

also curious as too why not flip and/or add a leaf?

my donor leaf was from a stock set.

I don't have any spare sets of springs :blink:

Guest kamakazi620

get some Overload springs from autozone/shucks or off a 620 (the 620 trucks have a narrow leaf spring and should work with your 1200) at the junkyard(cheepest) on my 620 I just run main spring (threw away the rest of spring pack)and flat overload springs

274708778757_0_01-1.jpg

DSC00260-1.jpg

as you can see its low without a c-notch I got about 4" before axle hits frame and it only hits when i have a Heavy load like motors and trannys in bed

Go to the junkyard and grab some leaf springs, and start experimenting. Here's what I came up with (not perfect or anything, but something to think about):

One added leaf, about 1/3 the length of the main leaf (from a Corolla, but could be anything), flipped

1" lowering blocks

like Driven, I got U-bolts made at Benz spring.

• 2 years later...