5 lug conversion

720mike

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if anyone out there has converted a 620 from 6 lug to any 5 lug?? Thinking about Toyota 5 lug. Just a curious question from a Datsun fan.

I'm currently working on the 5 lug swap using the toyota hubs on the nissan dropped spindles. It requires machining the spindles.

The cheaper alternative (since you would need to get spindles) is to use toyota spindles and hubs. That would require modified lower control arms to accept the toyota ball joint.

I don't mind the 6 lug because it the chevy pattern but there are more wheel options for a toyota 5 lug. I just bought a 1987 toyota 2wd and have already swaped the rear end in my 79 620. It has a 5 on 4 1/2 pattern and there are so many more wheel options. Now just trying to figure out the front. Thanks for the help.

I see that you have a '79, so you already have disc and ball joints. What I posted is for an all around king pin to ball joints drum to disc 6 lug to 5 lug swap. What you really need to find out, is how your spindle and caliper differs from that of a late 720 or D21, and if it is different(I know that it is, but I can't tell you the differences, you also need to find out if you use the Toyota caliper or the Nissan), find out what it takes to put a D21 spindle on it (especially since there are drop spindles available). Once this is done, the spindle has to be machined to accept the Toyota hub and rotor. Don't believe the changing only the races and seals to make it work, you have to machine the rotors!!!

More info on the machining of the spindles and the swap in general:

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3104

• 3 years later...

If my 78 620 has a 302 v8, what rear end would b the strongest and easiest to swap?

A 7.5" Ford Ranger rear end if you want 5x4.5. One axle tube is narrower than the other, so you only have to narrow one side, and you can use the short side axle shaft from another rear, saves lots of money . You can get a posi kit for it, and it'll hold up to quite a bit of power.