Project car dilema

I need some advise. I have had my 78 datsun 280z 2+2 for a year or so now. The entire build is over on HBZ:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1112076#post1112076

Well, I have recently acquired another project vehicle. And as much as I love my Z, I don't think I can support two project cars financially (or have the space for them). Will I regret getting rid of my Z? I could put it outside under a tarp, but it will probably just rust away. I have already converted it to V8, so if I were to sell it, the new owner would almost have to go that route. I will not be selling the engine and transmission I have, so the car will be drivetrain-less. What are my options here? I have never had to let go of a non-running vehicle before, especially an in-progress project car. Are there companies that just come pick up old cars? Should I place a craigslist ad and try to sell it cheap? Should I chop it up with a sawsall and recycle it? I don't want to part it out, too much haggling and time. I have put a lot of work into the Z, some good and some bad. Have you ever sold a project to someone? I am torn inside, the car is a part of me, and where I see hard work, another will see more work for them to put the way they want it. What should I do?

-Beau

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont sel it man you will regret it and its a 2+2 which are a little more rare so finding another would be hard i wouldnt sell it ive had a few opertunities arise to get project vehicles but had to say no cause it ment getting rid of my current ones and i couldnt do that after all the work i put into them

Am I missing where you said what the OTHER car was? lol

That aside cars are cars, put each on the scale in your head and see which would make you happier.

I actually always though it was good advice to actually finish a project before moving on. We all come into opportunities while wrenching away, it's pointless to just keep bunny hopping around. You either become one of these people that have 5 cars (parked on their lawn) none of which run or someone who never gets to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

I didn't say what the other car was... I thought you would all yell at me. Its a 68 Mustang coupe. I probably paid 1/8 of what its worth, it was a deal that I could not refuse. I have had my eye on this car for 6 years or so, and the owner finally sold it to me. I just need to find a way to tow it home.

I didn't say what the other car was... I thought you would all yell at me. Its a 68 Mustang coupe. I probably paid 1/8 of what its worth, it was a deal that I could not refuse. I have had my eye on this car for 6 years or so, and the owner finally sold it to me. I just need to find a way to tow it home.

I have both a datsun and a mustang. BS that you cant work on both. I could, they are easy as hell to work on. You are telling me that you cant make one drivable?!?!?!?

This is how you do it. You drive the Mustang around while you semi complete the Z. Once the Z is running and registered, stop the mustang and work on it. since you have been driving the mustang for a while. You know WTF is wrong with it and fix it. Drive the z for a while and figure out its bugs while you work on the mustang. Once your done with the mustang, then paint the z or whatever you need to do... SIMPLE!!!!

This is how my yard looked...

from this

A_new_nightmare_by_motavated.jpg

to this

datsun_620_project_by_motavated.jpg

to this

P1010013.jpg

then both the datsun and mustang ran and we moved to a new location to this

IMG_6432.jpg

then my brothers 240sx broke down

image001.jpg

then my truck broke down again

IMG_6941.jpg

after I am done with it. The Mustang is next yet again... We just rotate the cars around.

My_little_chuga_CHUGA_by_motavated.jpg

It need alot of work, new window seals, leaf springs, dif, suspension, wheels, tires, some body work etc...

put a car on wood blocks tented off at an outdoor storage facility. Usually its really cheap to keep cars there because they rent by the square foot. They make their money on RVs and Boats. But if you stake down a tarp in a tent fashion you can avoid water pooling up.

Mice are the problem.

I have both a datsun and a mustang. BS that you cant work on both. I could, they are easy as hell to work on. You are telling me that you cant make one drivable?!?!?!?

This is how you do it. You drive the Mustang around while you semi complete the Z. Once the Z is running and registered, stop the mustang and work on it. since you have been driving the mustang for a while. You know WTF is wrong with it and fix it. Drive the z for a while and figure out its bugs while you work on the mustang. Once your done with the mustang, then paint the z or whatever you need to do... SIMPLE!!!!

This is how my yard looked...

+1000

This is exactly how you do it, keep a list on what each car needs, and rotate each project as a driver and take care of the problems on the other when it's a non runner.

I keep 6 cars this way, ony two are DD. the key is to only have one non runner at a time.

but you can keep some on a non op, and off the road.

I'd yell at you for NOT buying it, 68 mustang can be built in so many ways, Hell, I'd love to have one. I'd do mine as a sort of Bullitt clone coupe, hiland green, with torque thrust wheels, but fog lights in the grill... you get the idea bullitt_mustang.jpg

I hear you guys, I just don't know if I have the time or space for two cars. However, the Mustang needs little to be back on the road, it was pretty much ground-up restored about 6 years ago, then sat outside and never driven. I mean never driven, the tires are so flat they have weather cracks all over the place. The Z still needs a ton of love, and the 302 I built for it would be real nice in the stang, instead of the straight six and auto. So then I have a Z with no engine. I guess I don't have to make the decision right now, I can sleep on it a bit. I never thought I would have one project vehicle, let alone have to choose between two.