Turbo A12, need suggestions

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was great seeing your car at GG! I like it a lot better without the rear flares! The smaller tires with painted wheels also makes it look much better :)

So, I am now thinking about doing a blow through set up after talking to people and reading more. The only thing I am wondering is about the "carb boxing". Some of the things that I read say that you need to box up the carb because of the added pressure. Would this be neccesary for a low pressure turbo such as 5-8 pounds?

Any pressure with a downdraft weber will require a box around it so the seals don't blow out. Then the the fuel pressure will also need to increase with the box pressure so the fuel isn't forced out of the box with add boost. Did you read Dave's build and check out Hacked521's thread? Both have great info on the carb in a box setup. I kinda wonder if you should do so EFI. I remember hearing that some of the vacuum trucks that do carpet cleaning run A series engines. Now if that setup was adapted to a Megasquirt computer it might not be to much more work than a carb in a box setup. I just know it's a lot of work to do any turbo setup, so why not try and get the benefit of EFI. Just an idea :)

As much as the idea of EFI seems like a better route I love my carbs too much to put work into fuel injection. I'm going to be purchasing a book called "Turbochargers" by Hugh Maccines. I read about it and it is highly recomended. Apparently it has all sorts of tricks for overcoming problems with carb turbo set ups.