510 Rear Spring Rates..

Hey, so what I'm workin' with is, I have 270# coilovers up front on my 510. From what I have read and researched, you ideally want springs in the rear that are 3.8x stiffer than the fronts.. However, 1026lbs is the number I have come up with, and 1000# springs just doesn't seem right.. seems like it would feel like running on the bump stops.

I've checked out the 85 T-Bird springs, and supposedly if you cut them down to 10", they go up to 700lbs.. but that's still a far cry from 1000#.

Does anybody have any input? What are you guys running? Thanks.

(Oh, and don't bother giving me that "Let me google that for you" crap. I do my research before I take it to the forum. :fu: )

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody have any input? What are you guys running?

Thanks.I do my research before I take it to the forum. :fu:

Yeah, I searched around a bunch there. This car is going to be daily driven, possible auto-x once in a while, but for the most part, it's going to get driven on public roads and the street. Not necessarily a track car.. I don't know if that's what you meant by "hard driven"...

Hey, so what I'm workin' with is, I have 270# coilovers up front on my 510. From what I have read and researched, you ideally want springs in the rear that are 3.8x stiffer than the fronts.. However, 1026lbs is the number I have come up with, and 1000# springs just doesn't seem right.. seems like it would feel like running on the bump stops.

I've checked out the 85 T-Bird springs, and supposedly if you cut them down to 10", they go up to 700lbs.. but that's still a far cry from 1000#.

Does anybody have any input? What are you guys running? Thanks.

(Oh, and don't bother giving me that "Let me google that for you" crap. I do my research before I take it to the forum. :fu: )

if i remember right !

if you are using the stock spring location you take 26% of that 1000 and that is the spring rate you would use if you are going to run a coil over.

afaik BRE setup was 750#........is 1100# necessary for a daily driven car? you're going to get your kidneys swollen :P

I think that that setup is too hard for the amount of stress the rear arms can support...

There cars were also stripped down to 1750 pounds, I think they used 150 pound front springs

Just my two cents, I have 500 lb rear springs in the rear of mine for the replication of the rally suspension, and that's plenty hard for average driving. It's not too stiff on the road, but a hell of a lot more stiff than stock. I'd say put a couple of big sway bars front and rear to help the cornering. It will be better for autocross where you want some roll for tight corners.

The super high rates are great for the track, and then you don't really need a swaybar. But if you're going to daily drive it, your kidneys aren't going to like a 1000 pound spring in the rear. Hell, the 150 lb coil overs in the front of mine are hard to compress by pushing down on the hood. You hit a bump, the car lets you know.

I ran into this problem when I first got my Miata. The po had it set really tight, which was great for high speed freeway driving. But in autocross it sucked and either understeered or snap oversteered everywhere. The solution was to soften up the suspension. Made all the difference in tight corners.

I've read that it's the shocks that make the difference. On the 510 realm I think I read something about if you have stiff springs, as long as you have the correct shock setup, you will be fine.. perhaps they're talking about something different than I'm working on?

If I do go with a lighter spring in the rear, do I pretty much have to toss out my 270# front springs and go with something else? I want them to be balanced, but yeah, as far as running 150#'s up front, I hear that that's not much of an upgrade at all.. especially since I'm going to be running a KA and have a heavier front end.

I've read that it's the shocks that make the difference. On the 510 realm I think I read something about if you have stiff springs, as long as you have the correct shock setup, you will be fine.. perhaps they're talking about something different than I'm working on?

If I do go with a lighter spring in the rear, do I pretty much have to toss out my 270# front springs and go with something else? I want them to be balanced, but yeah, as far as running 150#'s up front, I hear that that's not much of an upgrade at all.. especially since I'm going to be running a KA and have a heavier front end.

I wouldn't run 150's either that is what they put on 1200's