SOS! Need help

Runslikeapenguin

ah i live in kentucky we arent ever getting smog tests, all of us drive old smoky cars and trucks, and if we did i would tell em to kiss my big white ass, honestly if we had smog it would cause an uprising, egr blows, rip it off, fuck the epa, the polar icecaps have melted before, one little old datsun isnt gonna make that big of a difference

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically if i want to use my Offenhauser manifold and the weber, i need to get a completely new exhaust.

There is no need for new exhaust. I knocked the guts out of the converter on my 79 510, put some pipe plugs in the holes left from the air tubes in the exhaust manifold, and put a big bolt where the EGR tube hooked up. All that other shit is too much work. I guess I'm lucky that I don't have the heat riser exhaust manifold.

100_0047.jpg?t=1264042357

Why are you replacing the exhaust manifold???? There's nothing wrong with the one that was installed back in '79. Headers are a waste of time and money. Take the carb off and clean it out and it will run good enough till you put the Weber and intake on.

When people don't know how the emission equipment works they think they are being cheated out of some power somehow. The only thing that convinces them is to remove it.... and it runs the same. :rolleyes: All that work and nothing. On the 620, the only thing that remotely reduces power (it at all) is the EGR system... and it isn't even working at full throttle or idle. Pull the hose from the EGR and plug it and it's de activated... simple. Otherwise, don't fuck with anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought the offenhauser manifold wouldn't work with the stock exhaust. If it does then yes, no need for a header.

The emissions is simply a maintenance issue. Its useless to me and i dont expect anything but a more simplified whole. Although the air pump does rob horsepower. Any kind of mass that the engine has to move that does not contribute to forward motion is robbing HP.

If you had this set up from '75-'77 then yeah you would need a different exhaust.

IMG_0707.jpg

... but the '78 and up didn't use this. The EGR pipe that comes out of the manifold?... just cut it about 2" up and squash flat and fold over. Or don't even bother and pul the vacuum line off and plug.

The '78 and up used a 4 into one manifold. Cutting and folding is just the easiest. I removed the pipe and crushed in a vice and folded it so it won't leak. Later I'll get a metric pipe plug for it. I used them for the air injection holes.

exhaustpipeplugs001Large.jpg

Well i managed to get the carb off by cutting up one of my 12mm wrenches.

the mains had crap in them and i cleared them, but what worries me is that the secondary was frozen shut. I had to pry it open with a screw driver on its linkage piece. its definitely screwed. I might just wait for my friend to ship my Offenhauser up here to WA, its not worth the work putting the old shit back on just to take it off again.

I am sorry, but this is late. Here is a picture of my l-16 carburettor wrench.

CarbWrench.jpg

It is just a 12 mm x 13 mm wrench I got at K-mart. I ground the sides of the jaws on the 12 mm end, and then I put is in a vise, and heated it up with a oxy-acetylene to bend it. I let it cool naturally.