Rattle Can Chrome

Normally I absolutely hate chrome spray paint, but I have a project where I need some. The last time I used any was about 15 years ago on the bumpers of a Ford Fairlane model. It took like 2 weeks to be able to handle the pieces and was still soft then.

I saw a can of Rustoleum chrome spray paint yesterday but it said it is for interior use only. What have you guys used? How were the results? Several years ago I saw a Mercedes Benz SL500 at a Hot Import Nights show that was all painted chrome. I think PPG made the paint, but it was 3 or 4 stages and $$$expensive$$$

If I can't find a chrome paint that looks good I have a backup plan, but chrome-ish would be nice for these parts.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to do a chrome rattle can job is to paint the item high gloss black. Put quite a few coats on it as if you are using black as a finish product. Then apply the chrome paint, a few light coats until it looks like you want it. When using the gloss black it makes the chrome look as real as it is going to, it makes it pop. When finished with spraying the chrome and it sets then clear coat it, you will be very happy with the finished product.

The best way to do a chrome rattle can job is to paint the item high gloss black. Put quite a few coats on it as if you are using black as a finish product. Then apply the chrome paint, a few light coats until it looks like you want it. When using the gloss black it makes the chrome look as real as it is going to, it makes it pop. When finished with spraying the chrome and it sets then clear coat it, you will be very happy with the finished product.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try this sometime. Pretty much every time I have used chrome paint it ends up looking like brushed aluminum which is very unsatisfactory.