WRL411 front end rebuild - help.

"Alice", our 67 WRL411, is about to get a fresh engine.

While the engine is out being built, I'd like to rehab the suspension... it wanders pretty bad in front, and feels sloppy.

I gues I could use a little guidance on parts locating and anything to look out for, as well as any tips / hints / shortcuts.

Links are fine, as I don't mind doing some sleuthing... just didn't find much on our "red-headed stepchild". :)

Thanks, brothers!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some stuff off this guy http://stores.ebay.com/soldonline-northbay, tie rod ends, ball joints. He was open to offers, from what i've heard the top left ball joint is unobtainable but you should be able to get everything else. Brakes are all early 510 stuff(shoes,brake lines, calipers, but the not rotor, shit i even picked up a new brake master cylinder off him for $20. Hope this helps, Rory.

Here's my shopping list thus far:

Shocks (F & R)

Springs (going to pull out the saggy Roadster springs and go back to a different front spring... maybe the OEM ones with a coil lopped off).

Tie rod ends

I'm seeing NOTHING for bushings for her.

BALL JOINTS: Unfortunately, the 410/411 ball joints are unique. Nothing else will fit. There were enough roadster folks (approx 200) willing to put down money to have the roadster ball joints reproduced by RareParts, but doubtful there's enough 410/411 owners to do the same.

BUSHINGS: I figure having to match up stuff through Energy Suspension, etc. I'll worry about that after I finish the disc brake conversion and whatever else necessary to get on the road.

FRONT SPRINGS: Using cut-down stock roadster springs is common to replace the 410/411 front springs. The roadster springs have to be cut-down because they're longer (10.5 inches) than the 410/411 springs (8.5 inches). I believe the stock roadster springs have a higher spring rate (approx 700 lbs/in) than the the stock 410/411 springs, but I don't know what the 410/411 rate is.

It's also commonly reported that the cut-down springs become squishy/saggy. Perhaps a better option would the the shorter (+/- 9 inches), higher spring rate (approx 860 lbs/in) roadster springs sold by the roadster vendors (Mike Young, Dean @ DatsunParts.com, and Gerardo @ FairladyParts.com), however, that might put the 410/411 nose higher. Dunno.

SHOCKS: KYB Options:

Rear:

GR2 #343135

Gas-A-Just #343135

Front:

GR2 #343127

Gas-A-Just #KG4515

Sparky Pete installed the Gas-A-Justs on Bluebie, a '67 RL411, and notes:

"... the fronts would be too soft with cut-down springs, causing the entertaining pogo effect over large bumps. The rears work great.".

The KYB Gas-A-Just are generally stiffer. The GR2's are cheaper and great for normal street driving.

"Alice", our 67 WRL411, is about to get a fresh engine.

While the engine is out being built, I'd like to rehab the suspension... it wanders pretty bad in front, and feels sloppy.

I gues I could use a little guidance on parts locating and anything to look out for, as well as any tips / hints / shortcuts.

Links are fine, as I don't mind doing some sleuthing... just didn't find much on our "red-headed stepchild". :)

Thanks, brothers!

I have a few NOS ball joints, will see which ones that I have. Might have some bushings too. Will try to remember to look thru my parts. Tana