620 with ac

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im pretty sure that there were no factory AC installs done til 1980. for the first year of the 720. 79 and prior would have a dealership added AC kit. theres a few dfferent variations of AC systems and mounts/hardware for the differnt kits that were made.

ive got a dealer added AC on my kingcab. it works, just needs recharged. r12 is spendy...

DSCF0315.jpg

kind of closer picture...

DSCF0313.jpg

im pretty sure that there were no factory AC installs done til 1980. for the first year of the 720. 79 and prior would have a dealership added AC kit. theres a few dfferent variations of AC systems and mounts/hardware for the differnt kits that were made.

ive got a dealer added AC on my kingcab. it works, just needs recharged. r12 is spendy...

DSCF0315.jpg

kind of closer picture...

DSCF0313.jpg

I am not trying to be a dick but I am pretty sure that you are wrong on this. I have seen factory a/c on the late 620's like 78-79

Factory A/C became an option in 1976. There were also plenty of dealer add-in A/C. Early ones used a square compressor on the driver's side and an underdash unit for the controls and blower. Later ones used a square or round compressor on the passenger side, and the controls were built into the center console, with the vents in the dash (where the radio would be) and used the heater fan instead of a dedicated A/C fan. I also believe that some factory ones used the heater controls for the A/C, but I haven't seen a working one of those.

That one Farmer Joe has doesn't look factory OR Dealer. ♫M-I-C... K-E-Y♫... I mean, screwband clamps on the HP side of the compressor? I realize some of that weirdness is because the components that are supposed to attach to the wheelwell are just hanging there unsupported, and that time has not been kind to that truck, but still...

Factory A/C became an option in 1976. There were also plenty of dealer add-in A/C. Early ones used a square compressor on the driver's side and an underdash unit for the controls and blower. Later ones used a square or round compressor on the passenger side, and the controls were built into the center console, with the vents in the dash (where the radio would be) and used the heater fan instead of a dedicated A/C fan. I also believe that some factory ones used the heater controls for the A/C, but I haven't seen a working one of those.

That one Farmer Joe has doesn't look factory OR Dealer. ♫M-I-C... K-E-Y♫... I mean, screwband clamps on the HP side of the compressor? I realize some of that weirdness is because the components that are supposed to attach to the wheelwell are just hanging there unsupported, and that time has not been kind to that truck, but still...

Screw clamps on the high pressure side was part of some aftermarket installs(dealer too?). I have seen it many times before, often on conversion vans that got a rear a/c unit added.

I know for a fact that the one Farmer Joe has is a Dealer installed A/C. It's the same one my father installed in my 76 when my uncle bought it from the datsun dealer he worked at back then. The under dash vents all say Datsun and everything. And mine was working before it was parked till it blew an o ring and let go of Freon in the cabin! That was funny coming up to the truck with foggy windows in the middle of the day lol! And none of those components bolt up to the fenderwell either. It's pretty much just the way he posted it. I got pictures of mine before I stripped it out a couple weeks ago getting ready for the cab changeover. The dash part of the a/c, (along with the rest of the parts to the truck! :lol:) is being stored in the second bedroom. I'll have to get the pics up of the dash vent/controls.

Paul

OK, I kind of went overboard with the "not dealer installed" of FJ's truck. The components are definitely one of the standard early L20B-type dealer add on systems, but the connections are really hokey. I've had numerous 620s with the remains of A/C systems, and all had the drier at least attached to something. Maybe it's attached to a bracket out of sight, but all the ones I have seen had the drier/accumulator attached either to the fenderwell or the firewall where the wiper fluid reservoir is. And while I have seen A/C systems with screwband clamps, they were something done by a backyard mechanic or by a less than reputable shop. These things run around 175PSI, more if they're running r134a. Lastly the through-firewall tubes seem awfully long, though that's not a true indicator.

As far as the "Power Brakes", um, yeah, they ALL have that. Vacuum-assist brakes were standard on all North American 620s.

Actually I stand partially corrected! I went back through all my pics I've been taking while stripping my 620 so I can reassemble it. There is the reciever/drier (?) on the pass fenderwell. The connectors are however factory, and while hokey they work. Although that may be why I ended up with the freon leak in my cab that day. This is just the way my father installed it back in 76 when my uncle bought my truck new. And for $hit$ and giggles I tossed in the under dash unit shots.

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

OK, I kind of went overboard with the "not dealer installed" of FJ's truck. The components are definitely one of the standard early L20B-type dealer add on systems, but the connections are really hokey. I've had numerous 620s with the remains of A/C systems, and all had the drier at least attached to something. Maybe it's attached to a bracket out of sight, but all the ones I have seen had the drier/accumulator attached either to the fenderwell or the firewall where the wiper fluid reservoir is. And while I have seen A/C systems with screwband clamps, they were something done by a backyard mechanic or by a less than reputable shop. These things run around 175PSI, more if they're running r134a. Lastly the through-firewall tubes seem awfully long, though that's not a true indicator.

As far as the "Power Brakes", um, yeah, they ALL have that. Vacuum-assist brakes were standard on all North American 620s.