620 rear axle width

goes2fast

I noticed in another discussion someone said something about a difference in rear axle width on the early and later 620s. I tried a search and came up with nothing. Can someone tell me what year they changed, and what the demention difference is?:unsure:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this collective knowlege and no one knows what the widths are?:rolleyes:

The difference is about 2.25" But i do not know the actual mnumbers for the two different axles. I swapped a 79 axle assemble into my 76 620, bolted right in without a problem. However the added width made the parking brake cable too short, so those are differnt as well.

Bummer, if there is that much difference, I will have to get an early one for my KC to get my wheels to fit. There is only about 1/2 inch of clearance between the tires and inner fenders on my 76. Thanks for the info.:cool:

Thanks for the reply, The 76 is going to get sold, it's the KC I'm worried about. I have the same wheels already purchased for the KC that I have on the 76. I can't afford tires bigger than 16s, so I want to stick with what I had before, so I may have to go to the boneyard and get an earlier rear axle if they will not clear after rolling the lips. I didn't have to do it on the 76, so maybe they will fit. I had to do it on my 57 Chevy to get the 8" Corvette ralley wheels to clear.:cool:

Thanks for the reply, The 76 is going to get sold, it's the KC I'm worried about. I have the same wheels already purchased for the KC that I have on the 76. I can't afford tires bigger than 16s, so I want to stick with what I had before, so I may have to go to the boneyard and get an earlier rear axle if they will not clear after rolling the lips. I didn't have to do it on the 76, so maybe they will fit. I had to do it on my 57 Chevy to get the 8" Corvette ralley wheels to clear.:cool:

Dont forget that the front of the 79 is also wider than the 76 by about that same 2.25". 1.125" per side.

• 4 weeks later...