electric fuel pumps

hey guys, its time to change my fuel pump, its been in the single digits here in ky and i went to start the ole 620 yesterday and no fuel!!! i blew 60 psi of air through the lines to clear any gelling or icing and hooked them all back up, i left the hose to the carb loose to see if i was getting fuel, NOTHING, i then went and got a heat gun and heated the fuel pump and primed it trying to get it going again, after much struggle and still getting no fuel i found a nice size rubber mallett!!! i tapped on the fuel pump for about a minute then cranked her over one last time, a filthy squirt of orange colored (im assuming rusty) fuel pours into the carb and she fires right up!!! i just cleaned, painted, and reinstalled my fuel tank so i know it wasnt dirt or rust from there, the fuel filter is good as well, so it had to be from the pump

i am thinking of switching over to this

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=1&modelNumber=12S&productID=10573025&majID=225&minID=2255&selection=7&minselection=1

what electric fuel pumps have you guys used??? and if any of you used the mr gasket pump was it worth a count??? i also need a block off plate for the mechanical fuel pump, unless you guys reccomend using the electric pump as a booster for a new mechanical pump

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure what PSI your carbie likes but you might want an adjustable FPR with that or any other electric pump.

My Z ran a Toyota Supra turbo pump with the stock 280ZX turbo FPR

that pump is designed for carbs only, it runs 4-7 psi, wouldnt the carb needle valve be able to hold back 4-7 psi? i beleive they make a pump with higher volume but less pressure like 3 to 5 psi, the question is how many pounds does a stock mechanical pump push, i will be running mikunis sometime this year

that pump is designed for carbs only, it runs 4-7 psi, wouldnt the carb needle valve be able to hold back 4-7 psi? i beleive they make a pump with higher volume but less pressure like 3 to 5 psi, the question is how many pounds does a stock mechanical pump push, i will be running mikunis sometime this year

It just depends on what your carb should run at, if it can run at 7lbs its no problem and you dont need a regulator. It should be good tho.

i just did electric fuel pump swap and asked tons of psi questions...i pretty much got told 3-4 psi is all i needed.....and the factory pump only puts that out and they have proven them selfs...well i got the duel carbs on the 510 and was told to use 3-4 psi ..well i did what everyone told me went with 3.5 and car runs great nice to have that fuel right there after sitting for 3 months....you will like the elctric even though most people like that stock pump......i would say 3-4 is the spot

• Like 1

i run a fuel pump like that one i mounted it close to the tank were the factory electric puum was located. i bought a f.p.r but didnt use it. my weber 34/34 requires about 2-4 psi or something like that and the pump pushes 4-7. i have not had any problem with flooding of the float bowl. if you have a fuel return line you should not have any trouble useing that pumpif you experience float bowl flooding just open the return line up just a little bit. mr G does not recomend useing a f.p.r with that pump because it will restrict it and cause it to run "hot" and the end result is premature failure