CL parts truck value?

pope_face

I don't mean to be a pain or anything, but there's a '72 521 on the Seattle CL right now that I'm interested in taking a look at... the only thing, it's about 3 hours South of me. I figured I may as well ask the experts what you think it's worth before I make the trek to see it...

Link here...

Is $500 reasonable, or am I jumping too fast into this? I'm planning on at least using the fenders, hood, and engine, and possibly the bench... I'm not sure what else I'll need once I start stripping my truck...

So, questions, comments, concerns?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ben up on "the list" for a while now. Still hasn't sold, usually not a great sign. Gotta think that there are pleanty of datsun people in this part of the country, someone knowledgeable has probably scoped this on out and passed on it.

That being said, it looks to be a very clean truck and would make a good project. BUT the ad does state that it was going to be a parts truck, again, gotta wonder why

i too inquired about this truck a couple monthes ago. they sent me pics of the engine compartment and i wasn't impressed. are u just lookin for a parts truck or a rebuilder. offer this guy $350. tdaaj has a parts truck on cl right for $100 and if you go get it in yelm you can snag as many spare hoods fenders doors as you want from him for a price. its also listed in the for sale section.

$500 for a parts truck? I know 521s are getting thin on the ground, but I think that might be a bit rich. Remember there are 2 720s, 1 that drives and 1 that might, mine, here now that both cost less then $200. I would have a very close look before I would jump at this one.

Thanks everyone...

I've already got a '70 L521 that I'm planning on rebuilding, so that's why I was considering this one just as a parts truck... I figured I could use most of the parts off it in my rebuild. I didn't realize it'd been on CL for so long, so I agree that it seems a bit iffy. I suppose it's just the prospect of getting some work done on my truck that's preventing me from thinking clearly. But, I've got plenty of stuff to do that doesn't involve the front end anyways.

I've talked to tdaaj and put in a request for some parts... I've just gotta see what he says. I did consider the parts truck he has for $100, but there's no engine, interior, hood, or grille assembly, all of which I could make good use of. I also could use both fenders, and the passenger's side on his is dented. Add to that some rust and a 5 speed I can't use, and it doesn't make too much sense for me to take it. There seems to be plenty of parts that someone will get good use out of, but for me it'll be a couple usable parts and the rest will just sit here gathering dust (rust?).

I thought about useing this one as a rebuilder. I'm more looking for something that I can use as a daily driver. It just seems that there aren't any out there for a couple Franklins. Most people start at 5-6 hundred and go up from there. We both missed a good one the other day. There was one in Portland that looked awesome for $350. :eek: It was sold by the time I got to the phone.

Jester

For those of you who haven't caught on already, I'm up in Vancouver, BC, on the other side of the border... This truck is already three hours away... I'm not really willing to go any further to track one down... the only reason I'm considering it is because it's the cheapest one available within a reasonable driving distance... Then again, I have to look at total costs... even if I could get the guy to sell it for $300, it's a 6% duty at the border, plus about $85 in order to "register" it for use as a parts-only vehicle... Not to mention six hours driving time, wait time at the border (both ways), gas for my truck (which isn't cheap even unloaded, let alone with a trailer one way and a trailer + 1000 kg of steel on the way back)... and that's assuming I get a trailer off someone for free, which is unlikely. Looks like I just convinced myself not to get it...

Anybody else need it who's willing to sell a few parts for me? I'm still waiting to hear back from tdaaj on some body parts, but so far my truck is lacking one of the most important components: A drivetrain...

I paid $500 for my parts truck delivered. Only bought it because Ted would not ship his $35 tailgate. #?*^%:mad:

After I got it I found that the bed had 0 rust and the gate was perfect as well. So I decided to use the whole bed complete. sand blasted it made a roll pan and some new j spec 521 tail lights. Just shot the paint this morning.

Worked on the engine and wiring in the "parts" truck for about an hour. It runs and drives awesome! so my buddy bought it for my initial investment and my bed. Sweet. Freebie. just alot of work.

Awesome... I love it when you make back your investment. As for the amount of work, it's really not that bad is it? Isn't that what sets the Datsun owners apart from the rest of the crowd? We could all get Civics and pour money into them and get other people to do the work for us, but then they're not really our cars, are they? Better to be smart with your purchases and do a bit more work yourself and end up with something that actually reflects on who you are. Like the Ikea commercial says: "You don't have to be rich, just smart." :D

The seller even says it was his parts truck, so he's taken all the good stuff off and thrown all the crap on it to sell. Bet the odd fender is off his other truck. Sorry if this sounds harsh but $500 for someone elses junk?

Don't bring the whole truck back. Go down with a truck and with equiptment and bring back only what you need. If you are getting an engine take a hoist. Get a bill of sale for used parts and their age. Maybe exempt? Chech into it.

The seller even says it was his parts truck, so he's taken all the good stuff off and thrown all the crap on it to sell. Bet the odd fender is off his other truck. Sorry if this sounds harsh but $500 for someone elses junk?

Good point, I didn't think of that... Oh well, I don't think I'm going to pick it up anyways. I guess I shouldn't be in too much of a rush... I've got plenty of time to work on this truck, so I don't need parts right now.