Truck wont start

patd

Well I got the brakes done this morning, So I started her up and let her warm up a little and took her for her first drive, When I got to the first stop sign she died when I put her in first gear and let out the clutch. So I just started her up and I went down the street again, When I got to the next stop sign she died again as I let out the clutch, This time she would not start. So I had to walk back to the house and get the jeep and tow her back, I thought it might be the gas but I poured some down the carb and still no start, I removed the Distributor cab and turned it over and there was no spark at the points, I took off the wire from the coil put it next to the coil and turned it over and no spark from the coil, So I went down to kragen and bought a new coil and put it on and still no spark to the plugs, Sooo, I am wondering what to check next, Anybody have any ideas??

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got the brakes done this morning, So I started her up and let her warm up a little and took her for her first drive, When I got to the first stop sign she died when I put her in first gear and let out the clutch. So I just started her up and I went down the street again, When I got to the next stop sign she died again as I let out the clutch, This time she would not start. So I had to walk back to the house and get the jeep and tow her back, I thought it might be the gas but I poured some down the carb and still no start, I removed the Distributor cab and turned it over and there was no spark at the points, I took off the wire from the coil put it next to the coil and turned it over and no spark from the coil, So I went down to kragen and bought a new coil and put it on and still no spark to the plugs, Sooo, I am wondering what to check next, Anybody have any ideas??

You have to check your wires that go to your coil. Check the ground and check the hot wire making sure you have power to the coil.

• Like 1

you said points? start there points are bad for all of a sudden death without warning

This is very common on the older Datsuns. The spade terminals get loose or corroded and loose connection. Make sure the wires going into the distributor are tight and no corroded. Had this happen many times. The coil and ballast resistor also uses the same type of connections.

Take the coil back for a refund. Take that money and buy a $8 test light. It looks like a screwdriver but with a pointed end and a length of wire with an alligator clip on the other with a 12 volt bulb in the handle.

Clip one end to ground and touch the other to the + side of the coil with key ON it should light up. This is one of, if not the best, electrical testing tools you can have. If it lights, clip to the - side and crank. The light should go on off, on, off or go bright, dim, bright, dim. If nothing then the points are not making good contact. Clean or replace and gap them.

Unlikely the coil, you already replaced it once.

Make sure the distributor is tightly bolted down.

Who ever had this truck before me put some new points and condenser on it before they donated it to the dealer who put it on ebay as they look brand new, I bought some new points for it before I got it delivered, I got the wrong ones, I bought the ones for a single points and mine has the duel points. My son in law says that I should put a electronic setup on it. I am wondering if the voltage regulator has gone bad, what are the signs of that happening? Its to late to go back to kragen and get some more points for it as they are closing pretty soon. Could they make it die like it did out of know where? I have been stating it up everyday to let it get used to running again with no problems. and this is the first time that I drove it on the road.

You have to resolve if you have power to the points first, before removing and replacing parts. Check the fuse(s) wiggle them as it may be making poor contact. I only know the fuse is at one end of the fuse box or the other and is 10 amp..

Ok I put the light to the positive terminal on the coil and got a bright light, My cousin turned the engine over and the light stayed the same. So it must be the points, I am going to take the coil back on Sat. I will check the gap next... Thanks for the great help.. I would never of thought of doing that..!!

I re-gapped the points and still no go, So I went around and checked connectors that I did not check before, The screw that holds the condenser on the side of the distributor has another wire going to it secured to it with a spade connector so I removed it and cleaned it and tightened up the screw and tried it, she started right up.!! So I took her around the block, and down the road, The clutch is slipping,,, When I gas it you can feel it slipping, She has been sitting for 16 years so I am hoping that she will reseat herself. If not I already have a new clutch housing, plate and bearing, but I dont really want to have to tackle that, Thanks you everybody for the great help on getting her running again. This site is awesome... !! It has been 33 years since I have driven one of these trucks, I forgot how primitive they are compared to a new truck. It will take some getting used to again..