johny5's 521

johny5

OK this might drag on for a bit, but here's what I have going on.

Originally bought the brown 71 and was determined to be too rusty .So I set out to purchase another ratsun members project, I drove down to Oregon and picked up the black truck ,

Had it home 24 hours and started the dismantle.

My plans are to strip the truck down sand blast the frame and most of the body.

The current paint is very poor but so far I haven't found any rust.:D

IMG_0647Small.jpg

IMG_0649Small.jpg

IMG_0669Small.jpg

IMG_0670Small.jpg

IMG_0671Small.jpg

IMG_0674Small.jpg

IMG_0675Small.jpg

IMG_0678Small.jpg

IMG_0682Small.jpg

what a pain in the ass the steering column was.I didnt want to wreck the box.

IMG_0683Small.jpg

here's the first brown truck it will be handy for parts and to see how things go together

IMG_1115Small.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice project!

Say, not to hi-jack your thread... But, I like the size of your trailer. Can you by chance tell me what size it is? I'm kind of looking for a small car hauler. Do you find it to small?

Thanks

Az - L320

The trailer is 6 feet by 13 feet , its a bit small for a fill size truck but I have towed a few full size trucks and many full size cars on it .

It tows fine but a longer trailer would tow better I borrowed a 20 footer and it was less bouncy and tracked better.

It could be a bit wider , I actually had to get wider axles for it after I finished building it because it was too narrow between the fenders.

I built the trailer 15 years ago , its on its 4th set of fenders and I dont lend it out anymore because I never wrecked any of the fenders :mad:

I'll have lots of pics as things develop

Edited by johny5

The upper A arm bushings are still available from nissan.cc (54519-08700).

Since you are planning for more power, the upgrade makes sense. Beebani has upper control arms and disc brake brackets, nice stuff. If you decide the kingpins are serviceable, Beebani's disc upgrade can still be used if you don't want to replace the upper and lower control arms.

Here are Beebani's threads on the parts:

upper control arms v2

front/rear disc brake brackets V.3

Don't mean to spoon feed you, but if I had the coin and a truck worth the effort, I'd be all over this upgrade. :)

The upper A arm bushings are still available from nissan.cc (54519-08700).

Since you are planning for more power, the upgrade makes sense. Beebani has upper control arms and disc brake brackets, nice stuff. If you decide the kingpins are serviceable, Beebani's disc upgrade can still be used if you don't want to replace the upper and lower control arms.

Here are Beebani's threads on the parts:

upper control arms v2

front/rear disc brake brackets V.3

Don't mean to spoon feed you, but if I had the coin and a truck worth the effort, I'd be all over this upgrade. :)

Thanks for those links I just read them and need to make decisions.

I might have a ka24de soon for mock up , that will help with the steering and suspension plans.

Im very grateful for any advice along the way too.

Edited by johny5

man, really tearing in to the thing. Told you it was pretty clean! :D

Glad it is getting the restoration it deserves. Wish I could have got it together but didn't have nearly the wicked shop you got going on. Would have been done in a weekend!

This truck is going to be a monster. :eek:

Edited by Gensaiken

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 620, but the more and more I see projects like this, my lust for a 521 grows stronger. They look so cool, like a 510 with a bed!

I would definitely go with nuke's suggestion, badass upgrade if you are going into this so deeply. I know when I have the space down the road, I'll be all over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have been working on the truck a bit over Xmas , Have the frame completely striped and ready for sand blasting.

Spent all day yesterday building a trailer hitch for my work van so i could use my trailer(the Insurance ran out on my dodge and i dont want to drive it in the winter)

So today I loaded the frame up to take for sand blasting and the place was closed:blink:

and its supposed to rain the rest of the week so that might delay me a little bit.

I wont have to much time to work on it before February after this week so hopefully the place opens this week and I can get a break in the weather.

I did move the parts truck out of the back room of the shop into the front garage to get more room in the shop too.

IMG_0746Small.jpg

IMG_0743Small.jpg

IMG_0750Small.jpg

IMG_0752Small.jpg

IMG_0751Small.jpg

Oh i need to preview my post before posting because the edit post no worky.

Anyway I got lucky and the whether was good yesterday. so I went sand blasting .

There's an interesting story about the chain hoist. about 15 years ago I bought a honda civic from a guy that lived in a rental house on the property where this auto restoration is (they rent out the sandblaster by the hour).

I had the car for a few months before i tried to register it , when i tried the registration was no good.

So I called the sand blasting /restoration place looking for the guys number and was told the guy died.

About a year later I was back at the place doing another truck frame. I was settling up and told them i that bought the honda off the guy in the rental house,

He then tells me he came out to the shop one morning and found the guy hanging from the chain hoist.

Kinda erry :mellow:

IMG_0765Small.jpg

IMG_0761Small.jpg

IMG_0759Small.jpg

IMG_0767Small.jpg

IMG_0772Small.jpg

He then tells me he came out to the shop one morning and found the guy hanging from the chain hoist.

Kinda erry :mellow:

IMG_0765Small.jpg

Woa...creepy.

I wonder why he hung himself...

I wonder if someone else hung him?