A87 Heads up

CorAce

I found this on one of thouse wiki sites. it sounds like all 200sx in 79 had the closed W58 head.

A87 Open or closed found on many L-18 and L-20B's. The "domestic" version usually came with open chambers. Many of the "used Japanese import" engines came with the peanut version of this head. Large quantities of these used engines were imported in the 80's, so the peanut version is fairly common. These heads usually have 1.25" intake ports and square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves. Exhaust valves can be 1.38" or 1.30" W53 closed (with some exceptions) This head is from the Japanese market.

Some of these castings are for factory fuel injected engines and have notches in the intake ports to accommodate injectors. 1.25" intake ports and square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves and 1.38" exhaust valves.

U67 open The stock cylinder head for many L-20B's. 1.375" intake ports, square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake and 1.38" exhaust valves. U60 open Identical to the U67 head, this number has been found on very early L-20B's. It seems to be fairly rare.

W58 The stock 'smog' cylinder head used on 1977 to 1979 620 trucks and 1980 720 truck with the L20B motor. Probably used also on similar year cars. Usually an open chamber design, but the W58 used on the 1979 200sx car, was a closed or P-nut chamber. Both, open or closed, had round exhaust ports with steel liners for burning off emissions. 1.375" intake ports.

N56 Similar to the above W58 open chamber.

W53 Used in L18 injected engine. See Datsun Silvia (S110) sold out U.S.A.

210 This is the factory casting that came on all US market L-16 motors. It was used on the L-13 motors in other markets. It has the smallest port and valve size of the L-series heads.

219 This is the original SSS head, as originally sold in non-north American markets. It has larger ports, larger valves and a smaller peanut-shaped combustion chamber.

The true SSS head from imported used engines or ordered from the Datsun competition catalog. Later versions could be ordered from the catalog with a V912 casting. 1.50" intake ports, square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves and 1.38" exhaust. These are hard to find. Any of the other closed chamber heads can be "converted' to this design by simply opening up the intake port to 1.50" (if that's desired) Some of these heads are marked "A87" on the side, but have "219" cast at the front of the head, just below the timing chain inspection plate.

Edited by CorAce
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way to tell without removing it. I had a W58 that came into my possession with a wrecker tag that said 200sx. '78-'79 200sx did have the W58 head, (probably open chamber) so my theory is that if it was replaced by the dealer under warranty they put peanuts back on. I'm thinking that if all 200sx had peanut heads stock, someone would be saying something way before now. Those exhaust liners can be removed, I did it.

And, no, I see no advantage except a new $25-$60 head gasket.

How did you go about removeing the exhaust liners Mike?

After reading this thread I got curious enough to get up off my ass and go check my cars to see what heads they have. My L20b had a U67 which is to be expected but I could see no markings on my L16 head. Any idea what head this is? I would assume 210 from the info posted. Is there a casting # inside, under the valve cover?