Get Garage!

RadioRedline

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving Forward, Will be dropping Gas Tank on Grey 620 this week, as its leaking on the seam halfway up. Any tips on doing this? I read on here that the Pitcock to drain it is in the center on the bottom.

Radio

Jacked up Back end of my 620 last night and to inspect with a light where gas is leaking from, and its right on the seam. This is what is potentially stopping me from making it to the Alberta Datsun Meet June 4. So I want to drop tank this weekend, and reweld it but I have some questions about that. I will be draining all the gas out of course, and I want to reweld the seam, and then sanblast the outside of the tank. are there any concerns with starting a fire or explosion from traces of gas or fumes? I've seen gastanks at the sandblaster, but what do I need to make sure I so before I proceed?

Also held up door panel next to wood wheel for a pic of how thats coming along, and its its turning out real nice..

Radio

ggggg1.jpg

ggggg2.jpg

ggggg3.jpg

As goofy as this may sound that two part epoxy stuff that comes in a round log from autoparts store works real good. We have used it on 4x4s that have had pretty large rock gashes and it sealed it up and stayed sealed till tank was replaced. just make sure you smash it in your fingers till it turns a solid color and it will stink pretty bad.Just dont put over dirt and it will stick like death.

To answer your question i personally would not try welding it myself..

Whats the tank made of, is it aluminum or tin like the body? if its tin like the body a mig wire feed should be fine turned down.

But for fucks sake, i know you know this BUT.. Sparks and gas dont mix. I would take the tank as far away from your garage and wash it out after you siphon the gas out of it. Make sure you wash it good. Then get to work on it.