webber carb opinions (make it pretty?)

Picked up this guy at a local junk yard today for 75 bucks. It was mounted on a 620 and they told me it was about a year ago when it was parked so Im going to try to run it without a rebuild. Problem is, its freakin hideous. Got any tips on what i should do to clean it up? I really don't want to polish it, there is going to be a lot of places i cant get to with the polishing wheel. Paint, unless its the right color, i think would make it look a little tacky. So maybe you guys have a couple of tricks up your sleeve.

100_1120.jpg

Just dont think it would go so well with the rest of the engine... :blink:

Image0172.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little gun shy since i pulled apart my hitachi and couldn't put it back together :lol:

Ive seen the rebuild kits and they dont look all that complicated, so maybe. I was thinking about finding a shop with a big enough tumbler so if i do pull it apart they could just throw it in for a little while, that would get it nice and polished in all the nooks and crannies. Maybe i should just buy a tumbler... its about 70 bucks for everything and it would come in handy.... hmm polished bolts... :closedeyes:

Are there any places that media can get into and get stuck once its apart?

I'm a little gun shy since i pulled apart my hitachi and couldn't put it back together :lol:

Ive seen the rebuild kits and they dont look all that complicated, so maybe. I was thinking about finding a shop with a big enough tumbler so if i do pull it apart they could just throw it in for a little while, that would get it nice and polished in all the nooks and crannies. Maybe i should just buy a tumbler... its about 70 bucks for everything and it would come in handy.... hmm polished bolts... :closedeyes:

Are there any places that media can get into and get stuck once its apart?

Its FAR less complicated than a hitachi.

Yes, there are little holes and passages that could get plugged...

The easiest way to get that to look clean again is to degrease it with brake clean then dip the parts in Muriatic Acid. We used to use this on the commercial fishing boats to clean the aluminum. It will clean that puppy right up. New gaskets, possibly jets, float etc, and you should be set. Good find for $75 bones.

Buy it here: http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-270-concrete-cleaners/muriatic-acid-605183.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=605183&utm_campaign=googlebase

I didn't polish mine either - I would still be at my work bench and having it chrome dipped was not an option becuase you still have to polish it first before dipping. Oh well, the K&N Cap cover most of it.

CIMG1003.jpg

CIMG0888.jpg

Edited by 79D50
Picked up this guy at a local junk yard today for 75 bucks. It was mounted on a 620 and they told me it was about a year ago when it was parked so Im going to try to run it without a rebuild. Problem is, its freakin hideous. Got any tips on what i should do to clean it up? I really don't want to polish it, there is going to be a lot of places i cant get to with the polishing wheel. Paint, unless its the right color, i think would make it look a little tacky. So maybe you guys have a couple of tricks up your sleeve.

100_1120.jpg

Just dont think it would go so well with the rest of the engine... :blink:

Image0172.jpg

Just Coff up the $375 & buy a new one. That motor is way to sweet to put that on. Then you can rebuild that one @ your leisure and have it for another Datto:D

it really works good i did it and i was happy only thing is make sure you have alot of baking soda, and you can do it at home out side cause baking soda dont hurt anything. i promise you are gonna wanna try to do it on some other parts too... post some pics if you try it...