Too much gas in town!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys! I have 720's 1985 and the car gets too much gas!! something really weird!! even the gauge of the gas goes down when you push the gas.. and goes slowly up when you take the highway!! is that something normal? if not, how can I fix it? and how much does it cost?

thank you guys!

wow!!! i didnt know that the auto maker "720's" made a "1985" model "car"

Top Rahman, are you saying when you hit the gas, your gas guage needles goes down significantly as well? If so, I would suspect your sending unit in the tank is faulty and or is misadjusted. Hope that helps.

When I was younger my best friend got his boss's new '66 Oldsmobile with a 425 V8 to make a quick delivery in the next town so he came over a got me. What we noticed was that on long hard acceleration the gas gauge would go down. We were concerned that we would run out of gas, but when we stopped or ran a steady speed it went back up. What was the cause? The big V8 would accelerate HARD! (we were used to my slant six and his MG, lol) The gas would slosh to the back of the tank when accelerating and the sender float would drop and given enough time the gauge would begin to drop.

Edited by datzenmike

Yeah, Datzenmike, I think that might be what Top Rahmen is trying to say, but I think he thinks there's a connection between his perceived poor gas mileage and the strange gas gauge behavior. My 65 Catalina's gas gauge does the same thing as the 66 Olds you described when I get on it.

Dan