lowered the dime today

datsunfish

Strangely it looks like it should have looked stock but being a 71 the strut towers are huge and it rode like it had a trunk full of bricks. I took out 2 coils in the front. I think I will take out another and 1 in back but for now it looks waaaaaay better.

downsized_1106091615a.jpg

downsized_1106091615.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that looks alot better:thumbup: And the best part about it is we (we as in Ben & I.......forgot to mention that didnt ya!:fu:) anyways WE did not even take the coils out:D. The first lowering job in my new garage:cool:

Thanks a ton btw Doug. Didnt mean to leave you out I really do appreciate all the help and the use of your bitchin garage. :fu: I love the look better but now I need to really lower it. The back needs to come down about 1 1/2" and the front another 2" and some different tires.

Thanks a ton btw Doug. Didnt mean to leave you out I really do appreciate all the help and the use of your bitchin garage. :fu: I love the look better but now I need to really lower it. The back needs to come down about 1 1/2" and the front another 2" and some different tires.

I think a good size for tires would be 195-60-14 or 185's. Wheres the pic of the more recent lowering?:fu:

Edited by DatDoug
spelling

I lost my camera or I would post a pic of it now. I cut out another 1 1/2 coil but I wish I wouldnt have. It rides like total shit. I can handle that usually but I know it will suck on I5 north when I go to work.

I have some coilovers I got from Doug but they are missing the top hats. When I can find some I will be doing those asap. I want the back lower but I think I may seek stronger springs before I hack away. All in all its good for now,I am happy its lower but its addictive and now I want it in the dirt.

Thats a shame! Too bad it didn't go as hoped! How will the coilovers from Ground Control work? Planning to buy them for the 510 i am going to buy....

Its cool. At least its low and it motivates me to do it right. 2 coils cut out rode fine but like I said,lowering is addictive and I couldnt help myself:D.

I didnt get to this sooner. as I dont have a computer on the weekend

You can lower the 71strut only so much b4 you ride on the bump stops. otherwise its like having no spring at all and no travel. Best to shorten the strut first then cut a coil or 2 but not really more than that.

What happens if you have a l16 with the small alternator bolts id they will shear off and you alternator will start dangling around.

one way is to get a 68/69 short strut and get a long strut spring(as there are shorter) but now most people use the 280zx strut as its even shorter than the 68/69 struts and has bigger brakes.

do your self a favor get 280 zx struts and brakes then put the coilovers on them you will get maybe 1 inch + or - then you are in the front with a nice ride. the problem wih stock tubes is they are just to long right when you get it nice where you want it you start bottoming out all the time. If you want to tuck tire and have a nice ride you need 280zx + Mr2 inserts with the strut tubes cut and shortend.

2 plus's with going to 280zx, 1 is the brakes, way easyer to get the pads from your local auto store, they are bigger and better, vented rotors. 2 is the tire to fender clearance you can run a -0 offset wheel with out the tire hanging 1inch out of the wheel well or other wheels for that matter

i went with 275lbs springs on my coilover kit and im very happy with them and i only have a L16, lil stiff but once i do a motor swap they willl be just right!!

I already have some shortened stock strut tubes with adjustable coilovers on them. Not too worried about bigger brakes and not wanting to spend more $$ if I already have some. They already have shorter inserts or I could just use rabbit ones I hear. ZX would be cool but Im not racing it I just want it to ride decent and be low low low.