looking into a 73 620 whatca think?

ryster88

howdy i am new to this whole datsun scene been into VW's for a while and well i got what i think is a pretty good deal from my cousin on his 73 620. just want to see if you guys think it is worth his family price of lets say cheap.

the truck:

?ui=2&ik=2d11e7d2b7&view=att&th=1249e9d0d3211234&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

the specs:

The Engine:

1975 L20B U67 casting, bored .040" (1mm) over, new rings, new rod and main bearings, new main seals and complete gasket kit.

The head: matching U67 head, ported and polished, port matched to hogged out stock L16 intake. The L16 intake doesn't have the heat exhanger between the intake and exhaust. The exhaust manifold is an early 4-2-1 manifold, which has better flow than a later 4-1 manifold. The valves were cleaned, lapped, and new valve stem seals were installed. The rockers were lightened and balanced to a uniform 73 grams, to smooth out the valve train. The cam is a Delta Cams Stage 1 cam, with 260' Duration, and 440 Lift. This is topped with the 1973 "Datsun" Valvecover, sanded and polished. The oilcap is a rare "elephant" oil cap, with some research you can find out the story behind it.

Carb: Weber 32/36 progressive downdraft with electric choke.

Ignition: New OEM single points distributor with Pertronix Ignitor Ignition module. Accel 8mm plug wires

Resurfaced flywheel, with Centerforce Stage 1 clutch kit, and new centerforce throwout bearing.

1978 Kingcab 5 speed

Original 1973 rearend, open, 4.75:1 ratio

Welded 1977 4.75:1 ratio

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That motor looks worthwhile and fun. If it's got a stock carb, a Weber or a motorcycle carb conversion will really wake that up.

IMHO, if the body is in good (or good enough to fix) condition, it sounds like a fun ride.

If there are a lot of little details that need attention - using my own '73 620 as an example, it needs a new windshield & rubber, a new window regulator on the drivers side, new door panels, a shifter boot, a new passenger-side floor pan, a new heater motor, new wiper seals, new radio antennae, new dash insert, new carpet...

This is after I've rebuilt the brakes - new M/C, wheel cylinder rebuilds, and shoes, installed a new center bearing, have a 60-watt alternator on order, and need to at a minimum get the automatic choke working on the carb (but want to put a motorcycle carb setup on it).... you know, reliability stuff.

You get where I'm going with this -- none of those things are deal killers, but they add up in cost and time if you want a daily driver kind of vehicle that doesn't leak water, have smelly/moldy carpet, leak exhaust into the cab, and has a bare minimum of functional modern amenities. I'm going to spend way more than the purchase price fixing up the little details that make it pleasant to drive.

Having said that, IMHO, old cars & trucks (and bikes for that matter) aren't necessarily motivated by financial realities. You *will* spend money over time doing things to these trucks. It's 36 years old, even a very clean survivor needs some lovin'. It's more about the pleasure of regaining usefulness, the simplicity, the ease of working on these old trucks (I still haven't gotten around to installing new brake pads - which have been sitting in my garage for 3 months - on my '02 Camaro!), and generally the sense of being a little different than your neighbors.

I believe that most people like their Priuses because they're like a friendly little kitchen appliance. A Datsun is the anti-appliance vehicle.

So, examine your motivations -- why do you want it?

Well said,Roadracer Al!

I know exactly what you mean. Anti appliance is a good term.

Most people think of thier car as an appliance.They buy,drive it,maybe wash it a few times when it's new,then complain when it breaks down because they didn't open the hood once in a while.

OK,I'll get down from my soapbox.

Like you said most old cars (and trucks) are anything but cheap.

Good luck!

"Rare Elephant Oil Cap".

Being that they ALL came stock with the Elephant oil cap from '72-74, and JDM markets through '78 or so, they aren't all that rare. I have more of those than the '69-71 USDM cap that has no Japanese characters at all on them and just have "OIL" in large letters.

thanks for all the replies.

well the truck from what my cousin says is pretty straight. only real spots of concern are the doors which the bottoms are starting to rust out. he has a spare set and a few other random things. needs a paint the PO before him who did all the work just rattle canned it black. i was planning on having a buddy respray it for me. missing all the carpet to. where is a good place to get a full kit?

the big problem with the truck though is something is messed up with the ignition. he says that with the key in the and turned all the accesories work but when you go to crank it over it wont crank. he says he can get it running with a screw driver, so the only way to start it is to hotwire it. anyone have any ideas? we are both stumped.

the price he is selling it to me for is $500 and a night at the bar (which i think is pretty fair)

Theres enough info on here to get the wiring straightened out if you can read a wiring diagram and have a couple of brain cells firing... so dont let that be a deal breaker. The motor sounds nice, and if you get replacement doors and such, thats not a bad deal at all... except for the night at the bar part... that could cost you more than the price of the truck if the guy doesnt care about his liver... Try offering a case of beer or something...

If you check out the olddatsun pickup link in the FAQ section youll find everything you want to know and more... Heres a hint, dont fix it until its in your name and at your house... the guy might raise the price on you or decide to keep it:lol:.

As for the carpet kit look for one out of a 720, or you can scour the yards for a decent carpet from another pickup... just so long as it clears the tranny hump you can trim the rest... If youre worried about color you can dye it or just rattle can it with some cheap black spray paint... it works like a champ.

With the 5 speed that should be a fun reasonably quick little truck, hold off on the respray and look into the disk brake stuff on here first (search, theres a bunch of different options...)

Good luck and welcome to the sickness...

ya im not to concerned about the guy raising the price, he is about to marry my cousin and she is making him sell it to me because she doesnt like the truck. my buddy is charging me a case of beer for paint i just have to supply all materials. not trying to break the bank on this truck just looking for a toy with a budget of 1200.

Yeah, pull the trigger on it. If you can't live with it, sell it again. It ought to be worth some more cash if you've done a nice job of painting it.

BTW, if you decide for some reason to SAND BLAST the car before paint, please, mask the windows. My PO failed to do that, and all the side windows have a nice frosty rim. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

so figure i would do a little update.

got the truck running with a push start, got it towed home from my cousins place because the T/O bearing decided to crap out. slowly gathering parts that i need. super excited to start tearing into the truck, my pops fell in love with it and i think is more excited to build the truck then me which is a very very good thing