VG tranny slip yoke

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently researching that info. I have never heard of other VG drive shaft yokes for the FS5W71B being different from the 4 cyl. ones. Is it only the FS5W71C from the Z-31 that is larger? This info I also would like to know.

Looking for a VG manual trans slip yoke. The trans I have has a shaft that is .970 OD including the splines, the stock 510 one is too small. Let me know how much if you have one........thanks

From VG30.com

Drive shaft modification

The stock 510 driveshaft needs to be modified for use with the VG30 transmission. It needs to be shortened and balanced and the steel dust shield around the slider yoke must be removed. For a sedan or Coupe

From VG30.com

Drive shaft modification

The stock 510 driveshaft needs to be modified for use with the VG30 transmission. It needs to be shortened and balanced and the steel dust shield around the slider yoke must be removed. For a sedan or Coupe’ the driveshaft should measure 35 3/4" between U-joint centers. We highly recommend replacing all of your U-joints when you install a VG in your 510!

This addresses the length only. The problem is the VG's FS5W71C tranny output spline being larger in diameter and the driveshaft spline won't slip on it.

This information is pictured in detail over at http://www.xenonz31.com:D

It may address the issue but the link only goes to the home page? Where do you go after that? Lot of searching otherwise.

OK found something:

http://www.xenonz31.com/Driveshaftinfo.html

Edited by datzenmike

Now I suppose that helps me narrow it down, either I have a trans from a NA 2 seater or a 2+2, damn if I knew it at the time I would have grabbed the driveshaft and or paid attention to the specific donor car!!!! Atleast I know it wasnt a turbo car so.......

Just thought of something... the Z31 used three different trannys. Are you sure that you have the FS5W71C and not something else? Only the non turbo had the FS5W71C but all three will interchange, lengthwise, so maybe it was swapped?

Edited by datzenmike

Well, I know its not the T5 or the 30a, at first I thought it was the 30a but the pics are not similiar with the 30a and mine and on the bell of mine is a stamped V71C so......its a damn puzzle three different trans used, thats solved. Now 4 different shaft sizes.....ughh. Narrowed down to a 71c from a 2 plus 2 or a 2 seater......atleast Im learnng alo but it would be nice to tackle one part of the project puzzle :)

Edited by SRSANDS

Ha ha Jeff, you turd, I know you think I grabbed some toyota trans....ha ha I havent actually bolted it to the VG but the measurements of mounting locations are spot on so.......stop thinking I have a damn yota tranny ha ha.

That above link explains my dilema....so many trans so many shafts.

Your garage is twice as big as mine and attached to the house. Keeping warm should be easy, and work keeps you warm:rolleyes: Where are you on the VG Swap, I'm ready. Let's get it done. I almost have enough $$$$ to buy My Engine MGMT and Cluster with Tach. I have to be Driving By April of 2010. Hope your ready, I want to know how my new taillights work:fu:

Ok happy hunting.

Edited by BJW's FiveTen's
I made a mistake

Well, it took a little time to prove the mighty Icehouse wrong but I did it, shouldnt have since I dont have my new clutch or flywheel in yet but it was worth it. Now Jeff that you have been proven wrong help me solve this issue!!!!

452001971_1575652171_0.jpg:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::D

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.