72 wagon wiring help?

Spades

hey! I have a 72 datsun 510 wagon(it had a automatic transmission), and I am on the home stretch of a NAPSZ engine and M/T swap...

the only thing in my way right now is the wiring. I have a off brand repair manual, scraps of diagrams found around the internet, and a wiring diagram for both the '80 510 wagon I ripped the powertrain from and for my '72...however the diagrams are from Mitchell and are hardly legible, and dont seem to be 100% accurate.

the problem was, the condition I purchased the wagon in, the wiring to the lights(the ground) was melted, and some of the harness had been nibbled on by rats.

to make matters worse...the swap took so long, alot of my masking tape and sharpie marks on the wires had worn off, and since some wired were burnt or chewed through, its been a nightmare.

All three of my wiring diagrams for the '72 do not match in most cases, and the colors are wrong...so today was difficult.

so, I am wondering, anyone have any links to a diagram thats right? or perhaps someone that knows on a 72 wagon with an auto, what each of the relays on the passenger side fenderwell goes to?

are there any wiring diagrams out there that are 100% right? and perhaps some that even if purchased, can be downloaded? I need the car running by monday...so by mail isnt an option. I didnt realise how far off the mitchells wiring diagrams would be, and I figured with my pieced together diagrams from the internet and the shop manual I had that I would be able to figure it out...

anyway, if anyone could help, even if its just telling me what each relay is for, that would be a HUGE help and I would be very gratefull!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone able to help? I have been repairing the harnesses, replacing wires nibbled on by rats and burned through by tweakers wrapping aluminum foil around fuses...but, I still don't know what two of the relays are, and I have found about 5 wiring diagrams so far, and none of them are right.

if anyone could help me identify which relays are which, or even point me to a parts supplier that sells them (I think they are all roasted), I would be very grateful!

I was hoping to have the car drivable by monday, but after yet another day of trying to sort out damages and staring at diagrams with the wrong wiring colors...it doesnt look like the wagon will be up and going for a undetermined amount of time.

any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appriciated.

Contact Paul Musante (AKA Paolo). He did a series of poster size colored 510 wiring diagrams several years ago. He had them for sale.

Here is a link that shows samples of his work.

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3001

He owns (owned?) a business in Marysville WA named:

Axsys Technologies Ltd.

Phone: (360) 653-2700

1818 98th St Nw Bldg A

Marysville, WA 98271

Here is an old email address for him unsure if it is still good.

paolo@cedarcomm.com

Last I heard for color laminated diagram was $35 plus shipping, might be more now.

He is a nice person so please do not waste his time he is a busy man.

well, the only issue I have is that I am trying to get the car running ASAP...I ran across his diagrams, but, I haven't found anywhere I can download them. it isnt the $35 I am worried about, its the time it will take to wait on mail for the diagrams.

anyway, if anyone is able...just knowing what the relays are on the passenger side fender are will help alot, and if anyone knows where to purchase those relays...at the very least the relay for the lights is toast.

anyway, thanks in advance for the help!

yeah, i have done searches and thats how i came up with the other 5 or so diagrams i found besides mitchell(the shop i work at has a paid subscription for thier online wiring diagrams)...

they have all been a massive puzzle...it seems as though 50% of the wiring in each diagram is right, and 50% is the wrong wiring colors or something that doesnt make sense...

after 3 days, we finally sorted everything out and repaired everything.

the bad thing is, the stupid tweakers that owned the car before attempted to fix the problem after they fried the light circuit with their aluminum foil "fuse"...and by fix it, i mean remove relays, switches, and flashers and never actually replace them.

so i have had missing relays, so combine that with cryptic or false wiring diagrams and burned out and chewed wires, and its taken several days to get almost everything working.

i am still stuck right now though...my new question:

what relays are under the dash? i am missing at least one relay under the dash that operates the headlights. i belive that one is a 4 lead relay, and i have another 3 lead plug that was just hanging down with nothing hooked up, so it may be a 7 pin relay, or two seperate relays. anyway, if anyone can tell me what relays go under the dash on the driver side, i would be a happy camper

Take some pics of what you don't know and post them. I work better when I can see what is broken. The headlight and horn relays are on the back side of the passenger strut tower. The voltage regulator and choke relay are on the front of the same strut tower.

i will snag some pics of whats missing Icehouse, i dont have a pic of the relay or whatever it is behind the dash gauge cluster, because it was missing when i purchased the car.

whatever it is, it controls power going to the headlights, and without that relay,switch, or whatever it is, there is no power at the fuse panel, and the headlights are inop. if i run current through to power wire going to the fuse panel from the clip under the dash, i can make the headlights work.

basically, there is a hook up for some sort of switch, relay, or fuse or something under the dash to provide power to the headlights, and I dont have whatever that item is.

after a few days of cleaning up wiring, replacing relays and switches, and staring at wiring diagrams, most of the accessories are functional except the wipers...i haven't looked into the circuit yet, so it could be the switch or motor...anyway, the worst is over.

I figured out the rest of the relays, and everything but the wipers are now functional....

now onto a fuel return line, throttle and manual choke cable and it will be running finally!

Edited by Spades