new to ratsun w/ '75 620

cdreandrade

I have a 1975 620.

My grandpa bought this truck new and he has now passed it on to me. I don't have any pics currently since I am at work but I will try and get some up later.

I am not sure of the exact model of the engine but it is the 2.0 1952cc engine. I recently upgraded to a webber carb and removed all of the smog equipment.

I am looking into getting a performance exhaust and intake manifold. Where could i find these? I am wondering if it is worth fixing up this engine or if i should get a better one that i can get more parts for?

Any ideas would help greatly.

Thanks,

chris

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in califonia and i seem to have misplaced my pics so when my girlfriend gets back with the camera i will take some.

So there is no alternative to the stock intake? it just seens like it would get so much more power if it had the proper intake?(currently using a spread bore adapter plate)

The exuahst im sure will be fine which i am getting done this weekend since mine rotted out and i got a ticket for a faulty exhaust system and i am now required to do so by law.

also what type of muffler should i use? i don't want the rice rocket sound just something that sounds good but not too loud?

thanks for the help i appreciate it! o yea what is the best way to post my pics?

thanks,

chris

Guest DatsuNoob
I am in califonia and i seem to have misplaced my pics so when my girlfriend gets back with the camera i will take some.

So there is no alternative to the stock intake? it just seens like it would get so much more power if it had the proper intake?(currently using a spread bore adapter plate)

The exuahst im sure will be fine which i am getting done this weekend since mine rotted out and i got a ticket for a faulty exhaust system and i am now required to do so by law.

also what type of muffler should i use? i don't want the rice rocket sound just something that sounds good but not too loud?

thanks for the help i appreciate it! o yea what is the best way to post my pics?

thanks,

chris

I like the sound of a header with a resonator and either super turbo type muffler or a Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc (they're all pretty similar). Fairly quiet, until you get on it, but it's all personal preference. I had a Flowtech Terminator muffler on my truck. It was ridiculously loud. As for pics I upload all of my pics through my photobucket account and get the IMG codes to post them. Cant wait to see your pics. Welcome!

well thats bout all your gonna find. the stock intake with adapter. it works just fine as i have 3 webers on 2 datsuns and a toyota. they work just fine that way.

i had a flowmaster on my 78 and a cherrybomb on my 73. needless to say the 78 sounds WAY better than the 73, i will be swapping exhaust over when i get done parting my 78,

thanks,

chris

no problem. thats what we're here for. you could use photobucket.com. thats what i use. seems to work pretty good.

[quote name=cdreandrade;211758

I am looking into getting a performance exhaust and intake manifold. Where could i find these?

The stock intake IS the proper intake. :D There are at least two different 'stock' intakes for the L20B. Yours' date=' '75-'77, is bolted on top of the exhaust manifold and uses a thermostatically operated heat riser valve to force exhaust upwards to warm the intake. These are moving parts that rust and stick if not wear out. The plate below the carb car rot out causing a major vacuum leak in the intake. Next time you have the carb off look inside the intake. You'll see a thin ribbed plate that gets hot from the exhaust below it. I'm not a fan of this system.

The '78s and up have the intake separate from the exhaust. The intake is warmed by hot coolant from the head. Keep your eyes open for one of these intake and exhaust manifolds and convert over. Does it run better? They run about the same when working right but the '78 set up has nothing to rust or wear out and is more reliable. As for the exhaust manifold any L16 or L18 will bolt on to your head and is a 4 into 2 system. They look like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorL16exhaustmanifold.jpg[/img]"]motorL16exhaustmanifold.jpg

They are basically a cast iron header, cheap, quiet, fits and never rusts out like a header. This will require a dual down pipe into one added onto your new exhaust system though. But if you put a header on you would have to cut into it anyway. The L16/18 manifold is just as good for about $30 probably less or free.

I recently upgraded to a webber carb and removed all of the smog equipment.

Hopefully you did not remove the PCV valve or hoses.

As for the exhaust manifold any L16 or L18 will bolt on to your head and is a 4 into 2 system. They look like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorL16exhaustmanifold.jpg[/img]"]motorL16exhaustmanifold.jpg

They are basically a cast iron header, cheap, quiet, fits and never rusts out like a header. This will require a dual down pipe into one added onto your new exhaust system though. But if you put a header on you would have to cut into it anyway. The L16/18 manifold is just as good for about $30 probably less or free.

Hopefully you did not remove the PCV valve or hoses.

First, where would i start looking for a header like this? I would like to get it before my new system that way the guy can just bend it to that header.

Yes, i did remove the pcv valve and hoses. Is there a problem with this? I just wanted to simplify my system and also weber recomended removing it.

next, what other upgrades could I make engine wise? I am thinking of the electronic distributer mentioned earlier. I am also wondering about rebuilds and bores and what not. Switching heads? Porting head? I want to get the most out of the stock engine. :D. it already has a slightly blown head gasket anyway so this will be in the near future.

Lastly, I am thinking of changing the fron brakes out for disc what years would be compatible and do i need to change the master?

thank you all!

chris

dude you need the pcv valve to keep moisture from staying in your block, i just swapped my heat riser intake to the non heat riser intake like picture above, no biggie took a couple of hours, i made a block off plate for the egr junk on the side, i use the stock 90 degree egr fitting and welded it into the block off plate, now my engine is egr free and i retained all of my usefull stuff like the pcv, keep an eye out for any old dattos sitting around and you might find one, mine was free, and depending on where you are i know where a set is but i will have to take them off the truck, wlecome to ratsun and if you havent figured it out we like pics!!! please:)

dude you need the pcv valve to keep moisture from staying in your block, i just swapped my heat riser intake to the non heat riser intake like picture above, no biggie took a couple of hours, i made a block off plate for the egr junk on the side, i use the stock 90 degree egr fitting and welded it into the block off plate, now my engine is egr free and i retained all of my usefull stuff like the pcv, keep an eye out for any old dattos sitting around and you might find one, mine was free, and depending on where you are i know where a set is but i will have to take them off the truck, wlecome to ratsun and if you havent figured it out we like pics!!! please:)

i am in northern california. WHat exactly is the set of? the header and intake? Would i need to change my intake to use the header pictured above?