B11 Sentra goes rallycossing

I built this B11 sentra into a race car 15 years ago. I used it mainly for ice racing on frozen lakes for the past 12 years. I then stiffened up the springs and started using it for rallycross events. I'm still having fun with the car.

4_559546.jpg

Yesterday was the Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club's monthly Rallycross series event. I went into the event tied for first place in points for the Modified 2WD class [M-2]. I came out the leader of the class at the end of the day. I set the quickest time of the day [just barely - over an AWD Impreza in another class] and won the M-2 division.

3_941216.jpg

Does this look like fun or what? biggrin.gif You can see the red N12 Pulsar steering wheel I saved from my original ice racing '83 Pulsar NX. The cv joints are now clicking and it's time to change them. Having a locked diff and bouncing around under full throttle really pounds the outer joints in this type of environment.

Mike

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like fun :D

What sort of work have you done to the E16 in that car? In its stock form that engine is defnitely not a powerhouse by any means of the imagination.

The E16 in the car has A series flat top pistons in it, with a Nismo "turbo" cylinder head for approximately 13 to 1 compression ratio. The stock cam has been reground for mild performance to .417" of valve lift. The carburetors are 44mm Mikuinis, also from the old Nismo catalog about 20 years ago. It used to have a header on it, but I took it off when I started using the car for rally because of low ground clearance. I replaced it with a B12 iron exhaust manifold [which is better than the stock B11 manifold with it's pre-cat converter in it].

DSC03478-1.jpg

Edited by blownb310
Cool. I did rallycross last weekend too (in my Corolla).

So I take it you prefer the FWD for this sort of thing?

Not particularly, I'd love to rallycross with RWD. I've just got to change my priorities and get working on my '81 Datsun 210 project. I put a full cage in it about 10 years ago and have been storing it indoors ever since. Just needs little things like rally engine, trans, and a ton of suspesion upgrades. :D

I'll get to it some day.....:)

hell yah that looks like fun. too bad nothing like that happens here. i would totally be into it. hmm, maybe i can start it here. who sanctions these events?
The SCCA sanctions rally-x. I am lucky because there are several regions in NY state that host them. The New England Region's got a great rally-x program as well.

What area are you in?

Edited by blownb310

Just curious, I've never tried it, and I thought you would be the person to ask.

If you're interested, you can check out some pics from last weekend here:

http://shutterdriven.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=16962

this one is me if you don't want to wade thru all that:

http://shutterdriven.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=17285

this is from before...

http://shutterdriven.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=15250

:D:D

Didn't mean to thread jack with Corolla stuff, but I'm up for talking about rallycross!

I am too! Check this out, a few years ago I organized a European [wheel to wheel] style Rallycross here in NY. This was for prepared cars only. No uncaged street cars. This was the course I set up:

GLADRAGSrallx1EDIT2.jpg

It used a paved oval, a paved drag strip which turned to gravel at the end and then onto dirt everywhere else.

Does this look like fun or what?

lemans1.jpg

lemans3.jpg

lemans6.jpg

24_G.sized.jpg

28_G.sized.jpg

Did I mention I have a Toyota Paseo dirt car as well?

21_G.jpg

Crazy huh? :D

Picture albums are here: http://images.icerace.com/gallery/album13

and more here: http://images.icerace.com/gallery/album10

Edited by blownb310
The SCCA sanctions rally-x. I am lucky because there are several regions in NY state that host them. The New England Region's got a great rally-x program as well.

What area are you in?

i'm in bakersfield california.

i live about twenty minutes from buttonwillow raceway and famoso raceway. do you think there's an event near here?