Figbuck 620

Figbuck

I have been busy trying to make some money, so Datusn progress has slowed down a bit. Even a little progress is still progress. It is a real luxury to have a garage that I can roll the door down and leave a big mess just like it is until the next time I go in there.

I was thinking about welding a Draw-Tite type receiver hitch to my frame and will still happen at some point, but right now, I'm going to clean up my old ugly tube bumper and use it until I get some other projects finished.

This bumper has saved me twice in rear end collisions. I have backed into low things that I couldn't see in my mirrors or in the dark more times than I can remember and hit them with the bumper. It doesn't have a ding on it. Cheap insurance for sure. It is still ugly, but utilitarian.

The powder coating finally started to fail after almost twenty years. I started to sand the spots where the powder coating was bubbling off and found rust under places that looked good. Right next to those areas was powder coating that was welded onto the metal and a bitch to sand off. The only thing I could think was that there was poor prep.

Bumpers are ugly and this one just wasn't working for me graphically. I messed around with some tape to see how I could make it appear cosmetically better.

DSCN4644.jpg[/img]

Sawzall... that's all.

DSCN4643.jpg[/img]

Welding up end caps.

DSCN4645.jpg

Grind and sand smooth.

DSCN4648.jpg

I ground and sanded all the edges to a nice radius so it will hold the finish better. Sanded it to bare metal, applied metal cleaner and conditioner, Shot two coats of epoxy primer and two coats of Rustoleum Satin.

DSCN4676.jpg

Someday I will get around to welding the hitch so that all you see is the receiver sticking out and the license plate frame, the tail lights will all be in a single pan across the back. But for now it looks better.

DSCN4675.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic