Naps 5 speed

izzo

i have this on CL for 75/offer.

i want it outta my truck. I spun the shaft thru all gears and it seemed to work fine. miles unknown, its not toooo dirty could use a cleaning before installing. I will do trades, let me know what you got! (drum brake stuff, floorboards for 720, muffler, whatever else, etc...)

I could really use a weber carb for something else

make offer :D

its the one on the top

IMG_0692.jpg

Edited by h2theizzo
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More info... If from an '80 720 it wouldn't be a NAPS ... if from your '85 4X4 it won't have a speedometer drive in the tailstock. Better pix.

lol its not from my 80 720, as the dogleg is still in there :D

its not from my 85 4x4 either, that trans is still in there. I believe its from an 85 2wd. Ill drag it out and get better pics. Mike, 4x4 and 2wd trans will work in either a 2wd truck and 4wd truck right? From the looks of it they were near the same, but the 4x4 trans had a bracket on there to go from the trans to the trans cross member. I can take pics if you need to see what im talkin about.

Observations:

It's a longtail 5-speed.

It's a NAPS-Z front case.

It's not for a 4X4.

It has the later style "ears" but that's not of much help, as I'm not so sure any NAPS-Z 71B had the short ears (maybe the 200SX 80-81?).

What it came out of OGFK. It'll work in a 720 with a longtail, but that seems to be a crapshoot judging by my junkyard experiences with 720s. Looks identical to what I pulled out of, and used as a replacement in, my '83 KC.

Ya, i was sure it was out of a 2wd, i have a 4x4 transmission i set next to it to compare. the 4x4 transmission was shorter, the speedo cog was in a different location, and there is just 1 adapter bolted to the 4x4 that would make it sit in a higher position. i think in order for someone to use this in a 4x4, they would have to use the 4x4 mount, get a diff speedo cable, and then use a shorter intermediate driveshaft. seems like a lot of work really to do that

Mike, 4x4 and 2wd trans will work in either a 2wd truck and 4wd truck right? From the looks of it they were near the same, but the 4x4 trans had a bracket on there to go from the trans to the trans cross member. I can take pics if you need to see what im talkin about.

Two things:

2wd and 4wd trannys will swap as long as the lengths are the same, however the 4X4 won't have a speedometer drive in the tailstock

which means if it's used in a 2wd you won't have a speedometer.

The internal gear ratios are different:

2wd:

1st... 3.321

2nd... 1.902

3rd... 1.308

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.833

Rev.. 3.382

4wd

1st... 3.592

2nd... 2.057

3rd... 1.361

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.813

Rev.. 3.657

IMG_0721.jpg

As Doug said a NAPS long 2wd tranny. Doug, I have an '80 200sx FS5W71B in my 620 right now and looks just like this one with tall ears.

h2theizzo to use in a 4X4, the speedo cog could be taken out or sealed somehow so it wouldn't leak. I used the screw-on part of the

speedo cable with the end filled with urethane to seal it up. You wouldn't need to modify the 4X4 speedo cable at all as it is driven by

the transfer case.

Question: Does this tranny have a number stamped into the top front of the case or does it have a foil sticker?

Edited by datzenmike
Two things:

2wd and 4wd trannys will swap as long as the lengths are the same, however the 4X4 won't have a speedometer drive in the tailstock

which means if it's used in a 2wd you won't have a speedometer.

The internal gear ratios are different:

2wd:

1st... 3.321

2nd... 1.902

3rd... 1.308

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.833

Rev.. 3.382

4wd

1st... 3.592

2nd... 2.057

3rd... 1.361

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.813

Rev.. 3.657

IMG_0721.jpg

As Doug said a NAPS long 2wd tranny. Doug, I have an '80 200sx FS5W71B in my 620 right now and looks just like this one with tall ears.

h2theizzo to use in a 4X4, the speedo cog could be taken out or sealed somehow so it wouldn't leak. I used the screw-on part of the

speedo cable with the end filled with urethane to seal it up. You wouldn't need to modify the 4X4 speedo cable at all as it is driven by

the transfer case.

Question: Does this tranny have a number stamped into the top front of the case or does it have a foil sticker?

a sticker at the top of the bell housing, and on the driver side rear of the trans it has a few words and a #24 i think

bump again

make a ratsun offer i want it gone, i wont be offended by what you offer me :D

you can test it before you take it, like i said i spun the shaft thru all 5 forward gears and it works fine, it spun backwards when i put it in reverse.

WTF Im selling my whole Z22 naps for cheaper than this.......why doesnt anyone want my stuff.........:(

80 dollars for a transmission isnt bad. personally i would have taken 50 for it from a stranger, cheeper for someone here on the forum.

And dont feel bad, i put my naps shit up for sale too. Nobody wants naps engines. Once i saw this naps z24 on craigs list, fresh rebuild. Came with the weber setup too, and it was only maybe a year old. The guy put it up for 400, then 300, then 160, then free minus the carb. Carb was worth more than the motor even after a fresh rebuild. Go figure

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.