Small block Ford powered Datsun owners!?!?

astro_ss_340

And, one of my pet peeves is copying and pasting quotes, please put them in quotation marks with the author. I know you were not posting them as your own words, but there are lots of people that do, and......well....they look like weiners.

You obviously don't know Mike ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the 350 was around since '67 too and would also have few emission controls and fairly high compression. A friend had a 2bbl '68 Beaumont and the air filter said 250 horse... (shrug) FWIW. I can't seem to find a reference to the 350's SAE gross hp. to compare to the 289's 195? hp in '68 which was the last year.

A 70's low compression 350 should have less hp but still surely be more than the 289. I'm going to stick with 250 hp.

The reference has been correctly labeled.

Edited by datzenmike

According to my Muscle Car Chronicle book

1967 Camaro SS 350 had 295BHP (0.84HP per cubic inchh) 575lbs

1967 Mustang had 271BHP (0.93HP per cubic inch) 505lbs

I am asuming thats SAE, so quite close actually

Its hard to say what my 289 will have, because it has the better heads on it, giving it a 10.5:1 compression ratio, I will be putting a 4 barrel on it aswell.

I will gladly post up the pics of the 521 with the ford 260 in it for you. It will be tomorrow before I can. I will be able to take all of the pics you could ever want because the truck is coming home with me. I decided against the 300zx motor swap in one of my 620's, so I called the salvage yard and asked them if they would be interested in a trade. So i'm gonna trade off the 84 300zx for the 521.:)

The guys racing Fords in SCCA'a American Sedan class run 302's at over 400hp. They have some very restricted rules 9.5 CR and less than .500" cam lift. They are using a Holley 650CFM carb on an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. The spec head was the Ford SVT-GT40 head with very limited porting.

Given the output from today's performance parts I bet you could get 325-350HP easily out of your 289 without hurting it's streetability.

I'd have loved to have that kind of power in my old Mazda REPU. I put a stock 225hp 289 with a T10 4 speed into it. Your 521 will be a ball with a small block Ford in it.

Just a note, you will want to change rearend gears to a 3.89 or 3.70 if you are not going to use a big OD ratio transmission (.75 or lower). My Mazda had a 4.88 from the rotary. After 2 months of running it up and down the highway at those RPM's, the old main/rod bearings were shot. After the rebuild, I went to a 2.73 Ford Maverick 8" rear, that was good for 140mph, but not so hot on take off with the close ratio T10. A mid 3.xx ratio might even work well with the V8. They have plenty of torque and don't need to rev very high to cruise down the road.

Yup, auto makers switched to higher efficiency alternators in the early 60s. I remember that with the batteries before then, and with generators, they tended to overcharge so if on a long trip you ran with headlights on in the daytime. No one ran daytime headlights so if you saw someone with them on you knew they were traveling some distance.

I would love to see a photo from the underside FNLO620, if that's not asking too much?

Well I have pulled the engine from the donor car, seperated the engine, removed all of the engine accessories except the alternator.

And wow is all I can say.

To fit a 289 into a 521/1600 is quite interesting. To even get the thing into the engine bay we had to remove the front crank pully as it was a big prick, the carb, and oil filter.

Sorry I do not have pics as I forgot to bring my camera to the shop.

But going by those pictures, and my test placement of the engine......holy hell that thing has to sit high. And whoever built that 520 never thought about ever blowing up a transmission. Because I can't see how the hell you would even put the engine/trans assembly in. Its just so tight, I plan on making a removable tranny hump, (Ie) not welded in. So then I can install the tranny from the cab........I actually really like that idea lol.

First thing that caught my eye was the "flex" plate bent over the top of the transmission tunnel. :blink:

Ford went from generators to alternators '64-'65. If this engine is an early 289 ('64.5 or before) or an earlier 260 or even a 221 it will have what was called an "Indy" engine block. It has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the later 289/302's and finding a automatic transmission or a bellhousing that will fit means it needs to be pre-'65. They are not very plentiful.

My Mazda V8-P/U had one of these early 289 blocks, so I have been there.

Edited by Dime Dave

Last year for 289 was '68 when the stroke was increased to a full 3" making it displace 302 cu in. A buddy had a 4 bolt mains '68 302 cougar XR7 G (ONLY JUST OVER 600 WERE MADE) The G was named for Mercury road racer Dan Gurney and was also available with a 390 and 428 motor. It had Lucas fog lights and electric sun roof. It came with a 4bbl and I think was running a pre BOSS 302 mustang motor before they came out the next year. All I remember was this car was FAST and scared me.

Edited by datzenmike

Im a true ford man, BB or SB car or truck I would rather have a sister in a whore house then a brother that drives a chevy, but when I did my 350 swap I had a 302 and a 350 next to each other and the ford was longer but not as wide as the chevy I wanted to keep the stock heater and not cut the firewall so I went with the chevy and a manual tranny, how ever I did have to run coolant lines to the back (under the bed) to a VW Rabbit radiator, and no matter what you will have to build or change headers.

Every one does thing diffrent, think things through and dont get upset if it dont work the first or second time, good luck

Why keep the stock suspension under that thing? at least do fineline's coilover idea. that way you don't have to worry about the torsion bars. and anyways I think you will hit the steering linkage before you hit the torsion bars.

and yes i know i can make it fit under mine since i did swap the whole front suspension out. i have SO much more room now.

Edited by BACARDI_DWB