Help w/My Dime

Hello,

I bought my first 510 a few months ago!

Its sweet, but has a few problems.

I live in North Seattle.

I took it to a mechanic to get it diagnosed,

here is what he said.

"upon inspection vehicle has been lowered by cutting springs recommend replace complete front struts and replace rear shocks, needs new sway link and bushing kits recommend replace front end parts, engine compression is real good 145,160,160,155,-charging system is in good shape charging at 14.3, needs radiator shroud, recommend radiator flush and radiator cap, water pump belt alternator fuel filter is new, tune up is in good shape, idle is due to vacuum lines"

I would like to have it completely repaired but I don't want to restored to the original height, it shakes due to the suspension at around 40-60mph.

I just don't know where to start or where to take it to be worked on,

so i thought that the best idea would be to come here first,

so here i am.

4973_1098473980458_1184881106_30238008_3538756_n.jpg

Edited by HumanoidTHe23rd
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have money???????

take it to Ray Stonehocker in bothell area garage autohero 425 931-3121

or Frank up north in Everett.425-280-4747.

asl to many questions then he wont deal with you. get to the point and to your money.

your mechainic should be able to handle 90% of this whats wrong with him.

I dont have a shroud, you can change the cap. Water pump leaks? if not dont worry about it. belts are EZ to change.

shakes. Maybe you need tires balanced???????

If this is a auotmatic that could be it also?

Okay Thank You,

And yes it is an automatic.

Any idea roughly how much it would cost?

I just got a quote from that mechanic,

and I typed it exactly as He did.

He is a dick.

I just bought a 85' Nissan 720 dually like two or three weeks ago, and I wanted him to look at it also, so I scheduled an appointment with him the next day, and He never opened up his shop the following morning. So I don't think I'm going to go back to him.

I'd like to do must of the work on my 510 myself, but I'm new to working on cars, and I don't have all of the things I would need to do everything (such as the suspension work and an eventual engine swap down the road).

Mainly I just need the suspension work done, I can do everything else myself, but I would need the parts, which I also don't know where to go.

But I do need a new paint job, because its just flat black spray paint and it looks pretty shabby, whoever painted it got paint on the chrome and the windows. I spend eight to ten hours getting the paint off the chrome with the finest steel wool I could find and some wire brushes, my fingers hurt for days! lol it look way better now though.

Edited by HumanoidTHe23rd

yer paint looks fine bro. I rattle canned mine. if you're gonna redo it, you should take it to bare metal or leave it alone.

Your mechanic is fired, man. Don't go back there. I worked in parts for years and he sounds like the type that doesn't like old cars, so when one comes in he just tries to "price you out the door", meaning sell you EVERYTHING, even stuff you MIGHT not need, cuz if it's too expensive, you'll just leave.

Wilson Brothers in Ballard is awesome if they're still around. Straight shooters, small business. Nice guys.

oh and that's a sick front valance, man. There are a ton of awesome people on ratsun. There are good tech articles on dimequarterly.com. the bluebirds mail archive has a searchable archive. You have to register, just like here, but you can search the question and it goes back to....like, when the internet was invented. I'm in Kirkland, my dad lives in CO and has a ton of parts. If you need help, lemme know. You're part of the club, man, and you'll learn to hate to love your car like we (at least I) do.:mellow:

Just like Hainz said, it could be in the wheel balancing, or even a really bad u-joint could be the problem too, make sure to check the u-joints, not only the drive shaft but the half shafts too, balance the wheels first though, if it still shakes, then you have another problem.