Ridin' High

Loz

YEah, I know I just got low. But I had a drive today in a high 620.

took mine to be fixed and the guy had a 620 turns out he's 38 years fixing them... So he insists I drive his shed looking one. I'll post a pic later. I swear I thought he'd swapped engines for something with VVTI but it was standard. and the Steering? like a dream!!! on big wellas with AT tyres. I'm sold.

But there in lies the rub...

He did a body lift with 3" extentions between body and chassis, bed and chassis. Surely that could not be an expensive job, yet he wanted the same as it would cost for an engine recon! Or there abouts...

Can you get the ride hieght up with just suspender mods? surely its not drastic? then its big tyres and wheels and happy boy! again...

deja vue should be a better teacher...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey................ Another brainstorm!!! Can one of You guys that photoshop take the above avitar artwork, or another Roth design, and change the vehicle into a 620 doing a wheelie?? If so, PM Me. Sorry for hijacking the thread!!

there is a guy here in seattle that did a body lift the cheap way,, he took some pipe and used hockey pucks that he drilled out to fit the bolts into and used that as his body lift, it still allows a little bit of flex for the road but gives a soft ride for the street. he claims that this system has been on his truck for the last 6 years and no trouble with it. he used grade 8 bolts for the lift and says it cost him under $80.00 to do it all. just a thought for you to achieve the lift for the big tires you want on your truck:D

I did a 4" lift on the body of my 620 but the problem was the one piece steering column. One end is bolted to the frame and the other is clamped up under the dash on the body. The dash is 4" higher so the column had to 'flex/bend' upwards. Had to use a hydraulic jack to push it up to get the bolts in. Also even with 4" and hammered in floor the 10.5X31s didn't clear very well. I've since switched to a 720 column with U-joint in it. This was years ago. Now its about 16" higher overall than stock and has 12.5X33s on it.

I can't weld. But Thai labour is not expensive so farming out the work (to the right-as in not rip of westerners) place should solve that problem.

How much above standard can I get with the suspension alone?

If I can go up as much as I went down, I think it may be enough. I'm thinking big tyres on 14" rims. Not too daunting, right?

sO.... This is what got me thinking. This is the mechanics truck. Yuo know those slide locks you have on your toliet door? He has them on the inside of his Car doors:o

000y052P1Zp.jpg

I think it looks cool. What say you?:confused:

ps. u can see his home made body lift blocks in the back wheel arch..

Edited by Loz
Ps. ...

looks good mike! how is the fleet side box coming? i 2 was thinking about the body lift thing but the steering thing kinda distracted me im thinking about a 720 running gear swap? did they make standard cab short boxes?

.... thinking about a 720 running gear swap? did they make standard cab short boxes?

All years ('80-'86.5) of 720 2 and 4X4 were available with regular cab short wheelbase. If I were doing this I would get an '83 and up with the larger Z24 motor and the Up graded larger caliper and vented rotors. The front disc brakes before this were the same as the 620s.

All years ('80-'86.5) of 720 2 and 4X4 were available with regular cab short wheelbase. If I were doing this I would get an '83 and up with the larger Z24 motor and the Up graded larger caliper and vented rotors. The front disc brakes before this were the same as the 620s.

thanx mike i have a line on a 85 here in sayward the owner said the motor is rebuilt and it has new 31's the cab and box are gone(rust) and it has wood

2x4 body lift lol! he is way out to lunch on the price though he wants 1500!

If I was gonna do a 2wd lift... I'd go with a spring over in the rear, and custom arms in the front, maybe coilovers in the front, but I know loz is trying to keep costs low, so I say do it as fast and cheap as possible. Spring over is easy and should be cheap, just be sure to move the carrier bearing down some too! For the front, well I guess try turning the torsion bar splines and see what you can get... its been awhile since I was under a 620, but if I remember right theres a bump stop to limit the upward travel as well...