carb help for my 620

Braden

Ghetto--I am seeing several pieces in your pictures that have RTV type sealer on them. RTV usually is dissolved by gasoline and gasoline fumes. Once this happens(and it will) you will have a vacuum leak in that area. I'm sure that there is a sealer that will work, but the common RTV's that everybody has laying around in thier toolbox is usually the wrong stuff. A good gasket is all that you should need.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your right yellow, i only used the rtv as a temporary sealant to diagnose my leak issues, i am replacing tha gaskets, and any gaskets that are iffy are getting indian head gasket schellac, thank you for watching out for me though:) i honestly do appreciate the knowledge and advice given on this forum, im addicted to it, my girlfriend gets on to me about being on here 24/7, atleast one woman in this world is reasonable though lol, thanks again man, oh yeah my truck used to be yellow like yours :):), i wish it still was

Hey guys i finally got the truck running, i got it to idle and run pretty good in the driveway but it was smoking, i think cylinder #1 isnt firing, the plug was wet, i tried to drive it but it quit and wouldnt start again i had to get towed home :(, i dont know what to do now, i guess vhange my plugs and set my timing, if that doesnt work then hell with it

ok i got the truck running decent yesterday, drove it about 2 miles, got 5 bucks worth of 89, and when i tried to leave the filling station it quit and i had to get towed home, my charging system took a crap and i think that it runs fine while the battery is juiced up but after it drains a little it seems like it doesnt have enough juice to powwer the coil correctly. it was idling awesome and had good throttle response and everything, then all of a sudden it just quit, i cleaned and gapped my plugs too by the way.

ghettobraden I've been wondering how you were getting along with your idle problem. Sounds like you have that under control, but now have an alt/battery issue. Don't give up - I'm sure you are th--i--s close to a sweet running 620.

Random thoughts - I used to think "Put in new plugs" was something amateur mechanics did because it is easy and they didn't know what else to do. But after dicken' around with 3 found-dead-old-stale-gas-Datsuns, I'm believing a what appear to be good set of plugs can be gas fouled and not firing. I've sometimes got them going again by burning them off with a propane torch, but that doesn't always work. A mechanic I know claims Autolite plugs foul easier than NGKs. Probably BS, but I always buy NGKs, in case it is true.

I know if money is tight, "new battery" isn't what you want to hear, but sometimes that is what fixes the problem. Of course, it could be a dead or dying alt. I've had good luck with used alternators from Pull n Save, but I don't know if you have anything like PnS near you.

Inspired by this thread, I messed with the carb on my 200SX yesterday. I actually got the idle speed down to about 1400 rpm, much slower than it has ever been. But I don't know what, if anything, may have changed since the last time I tried to lower the idle speed. I suspect the Hitachi knew I was ready to Weberize.

It is all entertaining. Makes me wonder what folks with new cars do to keep busy. Oh yeah - making the payments.

Len

its funny you posted this stuff man, and i hope im as close as you think i am, i need to address my charging problem for sure but im not so sure its causing my idle problems, now i cant get th truck to even start, if i let it sit a minute it starts and runs for about a second or two then quit sthen i can crank and crank and crank and nothing but then i let it sit and it will start again for a second and when it does try and start if i give it gas it falls on its face and quits, its funny you mention the torch trick because i did that!! lol burned them off and scraped them with a razor then blew them out with the air compressor i def could use new plugs and i always run ngk!!!! ngk rules!!! as for batterys my brother works at a battery factory and he lives with me, dude we have barnd new batterys everywhere!!!! lol if i need one i jhust throw it in, its funny how when i leave my lights on i just throw a fresh one in!!!! lol as for the alt i can get a new one for 30 bucks and we have a shop local that rebuilds them cheap and i can even get it wound up to like 100+ amps lol incase i ever wanna run stereo!!! lol yeah new cars suck, i would rather have a project, theres just something about ti when you make it better each time its like the ultimate gratification when you do it yourself, anywasy thanks for posting and good luck with your idle problem as well:)

ghettobraden I've been wondering how you were getting along with your idle problem. Sounds like you have that under control, but now have an alt/battery issue. Don't give up - I'm sure you are th--i--s close to a sweet running 620.

Random thoughts - I used to think "Put in new plugs" was something amateur mechanics did because it is easy and they didn't know what else to do. But after dicken' around with 3 found-dead-old-stale-gas-Datsuns, I'm believing a what appear to be good set of plugs can be gas fouled and not firing. I've sometimes got them going again by burning them off with a propane torch, but that doesn't always work. A mechanic I know claims Autolite plugs foul easier than NGKs. Probably BS, but I always buy NGKs, in case it is true.

I know if money is tight, "new battery" isn't what you want to hear, but sometimes that is what fixes the problem. Of course, it could be a dead or dying alt. I've had good luck with used alternators from Pull n Save, but I don't know if you have anything like PnS near you.

Inspired by this thread, I messed with the carb on my 200SX yesterday. I actually got the idle speed down to about 1400 rpm, much slower than it has ever been. But I don't know what, if anything, may have changed since the last time I tried to lower the idle speed. I suspect the Hitachi knew I was ready to Weberize.

It is all entertaining. Makes me wonder what folks with new cars do to keep busy. Oh yeah - making the payments.

Len