KA24DE belt whine? alternator whine?

ichorid

Hey guys recently my KA started making a whining sound, as far as I can tell its coming from the area nearest the alternator. When the clutch is down its full on whine, when its off its sporadic. When I accelerate it gets louder, which makes me think its a the belt, or the alt. I checked the belt it feels firm, but I just cant seem to locate the source. Has any one had a similar issue? would love to resolve it.

My volt gauge doesnt show any decrease in power, and I have yet to have any issues, starting or charging. Could it just be a noisy pully? Not doing any harm for now but it bothers me to no end.

Finding noises is such a pain.

thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

could be a possibility. Im hoping when we pull out a lot of the components to paint my car it will resolve when we put it back together. Saturday begins the tear down and sand of my dime. Got my spray guns all ready couple gallons of paint. Heres hoping.

the clutch, belt, bearings etc. are under 3k miles right now. Alternator is the only thing that has a "used" amount of miles and even its pretty new. As to why the whine comes on when the clutch is down and only sporadically when its released. unsure. Ill pull the belt on saturday and see what happens. I have a new one sitting in the garage at my dads house. I dont think it has anything to do with the clutch though just because of where the noise "seems" to be coming from. Sounds more front than rear. Also occasionally when I start the car I hear a nice squeal. Thats what lead me to think it was a issue with a pully or belt. Just figured Id ask the more mechanically inclined than I before changing parts.

side note. I love LA, but I HATE not having a garage in LA.

thanks dudes.