O Hai.

I feel I've finally found my calling. I've been at HBZ for a while and saw enough people frequent Ratsun to check it out. Seems like a pretty easy going bunch here, I'm quite a fan.

Anywho, have a 1971 240Z that's either gonna get a twin cam head or a Merc M104... Haven't decided yet....

And I also have a "lightly" messaged 1963 mini, you know... With the simple things:

Kent race cam

Omega oversized High-comp pistons

Longman Stage III Full race head

Custom full roller rockers

1.75LCB

SU HS4 custom polished and modified

Ultralight flywheel

close ratio box

4.10 gears.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome :D, everyone's going to want pics. There must be pics A.S.A.P.

Mind if I ask why the Merc M104 of all motors? The Liter to hp/tq ratio seems on par with what the L series is capable of.

Edited by 72240z

Here's some pics of the little beastie. The Z's getting some mild heart surgery so pics to follow...

DSCN0162.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

As for the M104, it's completely under-rated from the factory. It has a very poor injection design and is smogged to death. The engine itself has a fully forged rotating assembly, oil squirters, big ol head (the stock head already has bigger valves than you can stuff in an RB :mellow:) with high intake and exhaust ports, no 90 deg turn like the L. I have a friend semi-close to me I'm talking to about the swap that has a 300CE DD with about 500whp on a stock un-opened motor and high (10:1 for turbo) comp. It's not at all like Japanese DOHC 6's with little torque, it's a big torqe motor even though you can wind one to 8k without touching the valve train.

Thats interesting stuff, cudos. If you finish it I'll be up your ass to follow lol. The head does look very well designed. I can't believe how side tracked the thread got with bickering over bullshit, classic hbz.

Edited by 72240z

I don't know why datsun folk take offense to the story. I mean the L series is impressive only in it's mundane-ness. The japanese & datsun designed engine originally designed kick the shit out of anything they may have copied for cheap mas production.

Edited by 72240z

To get the Merc connection straight, the only thing they have to connect them to is Prince Motors, which worked with Mercedes on design of their eventual Prince (Nissan) R380. That's about where it stopped. The origional rumor was of the DOHC 2 Valve M110 engine used in the 70's. This head isn't even close, the bore is way too small. 30 years later the only way this head fit was pure luck. Though straying away from the divulged arrogance of HBZ... I will finish the project just to see if it can be done. Whether or not it comes before the entire M104 motor swap is another story entirely.

Go for it, thats really the best reason to do it anyway, innovation. It has been mentioned by I think even you over there, there are plain swaps that do the job.

It being done though would be pretty great imo. Especially if it truly is something regular people could do without an act of god lol.

Sell me your mini!!!!!

I need mini!!!!!

A mini is like having a fat girlfriend with an over inflated sense of self worth. You do all that work and spend all that money to take her out and all your friends wonder what the hell you were thinking.

WOOOWWW!!! That's amazing! I can't believe how close things line up there! I can only imagine the sound that an Lseries makes at 8K !!!:eek:

So, I don't get it, is the other forum for talking about feelings? why is everyone so butt-hurt?

Come hang out over here for a while!

They will spin 8k stock just not for long periods and any higher valve float starts.

Here is one doing a claimed 8k, if it's not 8k it's close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHx0UmPSco

There was a vid of phils (from hbz) vid taping his friend turning some high rpm in place that sounded good but I can't find it.

Edited by 72240z
welcome to ratsun,,more pics and part #s please,,this looks intresting

If you want your very own merc head, you'll need

M104.990/M104.940 cylinder head, post 94 heads have stronger bee-hive springs.

Chain, sprocket, and intake side tensioner.

Try and find a Junkyard motor though, I've cross referenced all the part #'s on the heads and intake/exhaust. The M104 is one of the few motors from Mercedes that actually uses all AMG part numbers :w00t:

14 of the Long "B" length head bolts (the ones that go through the cam towers in the L)

SBC internally balanced damper (the M104 crank has the same snout diameter ;)

I'm working on what else you'll need, using the ZXT HG. I expect to have well under a mild port/polish in machining and parts. (Under a grand running)

Edited by MAG58
A mini is like having a fat girlfriend with an over inflated sense of self worth. You do all that work and spend all that money to take her out and all your friends wonder what the hell you were thinking.

i still want your mini. let me know when you want to let the fat girl go!

:D