my exhaust project...

Farmer Joe

well since i put these new wheels and tires on the truck, i ended up draggin the whole bottom of my exhuast off.

now i have started a new project with the exhaust on the truck. if i cant run the exhaust on the inside of the frame, then its gotta go on the outside of the frame. so i cut off all the old exhaust except for about 10inches off the headpipe.

and this is how it goes now.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

i betting some of you are guessing what the lager part of the pipe is.

wellll, lol i made a homemade muffler. thing is, it doesnt muffle a damn thing. it made the damn thing loud! so now what this part will function as is a expantion chamber for the exhaust. i did notice that the way i designed it takes away alot of the noise from the exhaust note though. its very deep and smooth, but just loud!

heres a couple pics of when i was building it.

its just a lenght of 2in pipe and 3in pipe. block one end of the 2in pipe. drill holes in it spaced evenly, or cut slices in it with a cutoff wheel at an equal angle. it just needs to let the exhaust out freely. the hole and or slices break up alot of the 'noisy' soundwaves and makes the exhaust sound smoother.

heres a little video clip of how it sounds right now..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ldWw2sGhmw

0714092225.jpg

0714092225a.jpg

here it is together before i welded it up.

0714092227.jpg

so from the end of that expansion chamber im going to build a small cone to put on the end of the chamber to reduce the size of pipe back to 2in. then ill have to modify the rear cab mount so that i can run the pipe through it.

now the next part is going to seem kinda dumb, the way im setting this up it is going to allow me to lay this thing out.

once the exhaust run through the body mount, im gonna run it back over to the inside of the frame. right where it comes back over, the muffler that i had on it, will be mounted. them from the muffler, im going to run some more 2in inder the rear axle and then out of the side after the wheel.

so thats what im working on for right now. when i get more done ill get lots of pics up.

Edited by Farmer Joe
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wont muffle anything if you leave it hollow lol. With a flow through design like that you have to pack between the inner/outer wall with sound deadening. Non flow throughs usually use a baffle design that traps sound like a silencer on a gun.

Nice work though it looks pretty good, esp for a home made.

It's good to see successful use of those flex pipes too. I plan to bolt one right up to my down pipe and out the side of the car lol.

Edited by 72240z

I personally would drill rows of the same size hole between the ones you have, wrap it in a cheap metal screen and pack between the inner/out wall with w/e fiber glass insulation that fits the temp limit it sees.

The holes to let as much sound through as possible, The screen to hold back the insulation from coming out through the holes, and the packing to absorb the sound.

That's just my .02, though it's cool as is.

I did a lot of reading on this when I wanted to try and copy the baffle design in the 350z/g35 muffler but in a form factor someone could actually use lol.

• 3 weeks later...

well i finallty got pulled over for the truck being to loud, when i was driving to go make it quiet... hahaha i ended up having to stand next to my truck while the officer checked my papers.

anyways, so i stuffed some fiberglass insulation in the the thing. ITS QUIET AGAIN!! lol. i got used to it being loud as fuck, and now its so nice and quiet! i can listen to my radio without it being cranked all the way up. its awsome! lol

didnt take any pics. stuffing fiberglass into a tube isnt that neat anyways. its just the same as it was before, its just got some screen clamped on the end. and i tucked it up more towards the cab floor so you cant see it from the side either.

so for now im gonna rock it like this. when i get the truck bagged ill put the chamber muffler on it and run the tail pipe. this'll work fo now...

ill get a video of how quiet it is here in a couple days.