L18 timing cover fitting?

zed

Is there a trick to getting the timing cover back on after torquing the head on these motors? The section of head gasket that goes between the top of the timing cover and the head makes it damn near impossible. Can't always put the head on last.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did just do the motor, and it's running fine. But... confession...I cut the section of head gasket above the timing cover off. I just could not get timing cover on under it. So I expect leaks there.

I did just do the motor, and it's running fine. But... confession...I cut the section of head gasket above the timing cover off. I just could not get timing cover on under it. So I expect leaks there.

I did that once....Just once though, that oil leak pissed me off until the day I tore it down and replaced the head gasket

what happens is when putting the front cover on is the headgasket can get pinched. esp if doing it while still in the car.Have to lower the oil pan.

If on a engine stand it should be no proplem as a oil pan is installed last .

I fit the front cover on guiding it up and make sure gaskets dont pinch. I myself put some RTV in the corners and around the front of the headgasket where it mates with the under side of head also but very small amount.

If you take up the rest of the surface with RTV, it should not leak. I agree with the other methods of installation, but also when I built the 2.2 a while back, I used a Z22 head gasket, cut off the timing cover portion and sealed it with rtv, never had a problem.

the front of the motor block has small chamfered dowels on it, which the timing cover must fit over. No way could I get enough upward pressure on the *aluminium* timing cover to squeeze the head gasket enough so the timing cover would go over the dowels. So I reluctantly cut the gasket. Filled the gap with the best quality sealant I had. That was about 1500miles ago, and no leaks yet. But I expect it sooner or later...