New user to ratsun.net

My name is Mike Andersen. I own an 82 Datsun 720 standard cab, 2 wheel drive, 4 speed manual, Z22 motor. I want to take the bed off and make a bed that you see on genuine ratrod pickups. It is flat black with bahama blue Von Dutch style graphics that I painted on the hood. I want to know what is the most common motor transplant and also how to mate a 5 speed with that motor. Thank You.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Mike Andersen. I own an 82 Datsun 720 standard cab, 2 wheel drive, 4 speed manual, Z22 motor. I want to take the bed off and make a bed that you see on genuine ratrod pickups. It is flat black with bahama blue Von Dutch style graphics that I painted on the hood. I want to know what is the most common motor transplant and also how to mate a 5 speed with that motor. Thank You.

just look around for another 720 with a 5 speed. measure the trans in the truck and the one you get, should be the same size i think but datzenmike will know more than i do.

if different sizes you may wanna grab the drive line.

As for most common transplant, i think most people leave the stock engines in the 720s. only problem with them are the shitty heads that nissan made for them. famous for blowing the head gasket at 100k miles. something easy to install would be a KA24 engine out of a newer hardbody etc. or a 240sx but you will need a few things off the truck to make it work or custom fab some shit up

i think that's right anyways

Yay another 720! I'm pretty sure that the 5 speed should bolt up to the Z22, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't. I know that there's one guy on here (Nis720) that has a completed and driving KA swap that he's in the middle of turbo-ing and I'm starting a KA swap. I've heard of people putting RB's in them or I've heard of a few doing a SR. Most common and simplistic, I'd say KA.

x2 pics. :D

• 3 weeks later...