new guy here with a 71 521 truck from san diego ca

ssdjoey

well i just traded my daily driver civic for this truck because i got a bigger daily driver,this is my first datsun truck so i think i got a good platform to start its got a l16 with a lite webber carb and thats about it o yea its got power windows too ahahha well my first plans are to either body drop it or airbag it, im not to skilled in that department so for now i think im going to get lowering blocks and ess with the torsion bars,anyobne local to san diego that has the know how or reccomends a place to get some good suspension work like bags and what not?

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice truck!!! I think you ought to just lower the back end with some blocks. Maybe lower the front a little more too. You really end up hacking the truck up putting bags in them. This one looks too nice:D It's your truck though. Good luck, and welcome.

yea for now im going to use 4in angled blocks and mess with the torsion bars,i also got a set of wheel adapters to go from 6 to 5 lug so i can tun some col old japanese rims

Nice! I've got 3" blocks on mine (not running yet). I'm guessing 4 is about as low as you can go without frame mods. It's probably pushing it.

You'll want to hang on to those wheels and hub caps. If you do ever want to sell them though, I'd be interested:) I've got 2 so far, but they are not that nice.

Edit: I just noticed that the rear hub caps look like they are off a 620.

i never noticed the hubcaps haha they are different i think, as for the blocks you got pictures of your 3in installed or does anyone? i lke my cars real low and being that im going to run a 14in rim i need to get rid of the gap.

another quick question can i use a front lip or valance from a 620 truck kinda like the bre style on a 510? i found 1 for sale bu hes about 3 hrs away and i dont wanna buy it and find out its not possible

Don't go hacking that thing up! someone put a lot of work in getting it to where it is now! Static drop at most, but other than that- leave it!!! If you want to make a bagged dragger, go find a $500 beater and start slicing! You can still find cool old wheels in 6 lug- just gotta look. most of the time they're cheaper cause the car guys have no use for em.

Don't go hacking that thing up! someone put a lot of work in getting it to where it is now! Static drop at most, but other than that- leave it!!! If you want to make a bagged dragger, go find a $500 beater and start slicing! You can still find cool old wheels in 6 lug- just gotta look. most of the time they're cheaper cause the car guys have no use for em.
agreed!:cool:
Guest kamakazi620

NICE TRUCK!!! yeah 4inch blocks are the way to go.my buddy runs 4 inchers on his 67 520,but don't go to low in the front your tires will rub on the fenders and the wheel wells.also stick with the stock wheels they are hard to find!!

thanks for the reply guys im gonna keep the stock wheels but i got some rims comming in from japan some 5 lugs ol skool stuff,if anyone is interested in some oder wheels weather it be 5 lug 4 lug or a very few 6 lug let me know i got a buddy who imports stuff from japan al does anyone know the answer to the front lip question? the person said the front valanve or lip came from a 71 620? is it possible to fit it or not at all?

Hey thats Tonys' old 521. Nice guy, i saw it on CL here for $4000 so ya you traded up IMO. Im with the other guys go with a static drop & see how you like it 1st. Im in san diego too so if you need help dropping it stop by my house :cool: On the spoiler fittment ?... a 510 bre-spook one "may" be tweaked to fit but may not look right. BTW 521's were made 69-72 1/2 & 620's 72 1/2 - 79. I slammed my 521 by re-indexing the torsions & removing the bump stops in front & running 2 leaf springs & 3 inch block out back & it had NO gap between the tire & fenderwell [was running same size tires as yours] :D

Hey thats Tonys' old 521. Nice guy, i saw it on CL here for $4000 so ya you traded up IMO. Im with the other guys go with a static drop & see how you like it 1st. Im in san diego too so if you need help dropping it stop by my house :cool: On the spoiler fittment ?... a 510 bre-spook one "may" be tweaked to fit but may not look right. BTW 521's were made 69-72 1/2 & 620's 72 1/2 - 79. I slammed my 521 by re-indexing the torsions & removing the bump stops in front & running 2 leaf springs & 3 inch block out back & it had NO gap between the tire & fenderwell [was running same size tires as yours] :D

yea this is tonys old truck i gave him my 90 civic sedan that was fixed up pretty nice and a little bit of cash for the truck, i really like it but i need bucket seats and to redo the brakes BADDDDDDDD i feel like im in the video game mario kart when im driving it since the seat is soo high and the steering wheel hits my thighs and belly ahahah,got any pics of your truck how it sits now with the blocks and springs removed? as for the other person giving me the confused face im new to the datsun scene so if i sound retarded or not know what the hell im talking about im sorry,im going off what the other person told me,thanks

Yes Chris the 71 620 was the test model :D Heres how my 521 sat right before i sold it...

1-16loweredlevel.jpg

& the vid of her leaving...

th_6-6521drivingaway.jpg

I will say this the frame would occasionally hit the axle on big bumps..my next thing was going to be a simple C notch to eliminate that.

thats how low i want my truck wahoo it is possible thanks man for the info im going to order 3in blocks and u bolts from national spring co on monday then install them next weekend,my adapters should be here next weekend as well but the wheels will probably take about 3 weeks to get here :mad:

Lower it and thats it

Run the stock wheels donr worry about 5 lug as there are 6 lug GM wheel out there if you want to blink it.

Persoanlly youll get more people comming up to you with the stock wheel set up saying how cool it is.Plus it will hold its value better.

thats a very nice truck

If you go too low you can have carrier bearing issues. I would say try 3 inch angle bolck in back and lower the torsionbar far as it can or 1 notch on the torsion. Bleach garage has instructions on a web page somewhere but 521 are Ezer to lower as I remove it from the A arm up front to turn it 1 notch on the splines.

if you run a 15inch rim you can get 195 or 206 in a 65 series tires so it fills the wheelwheel with out overly lowering the truck to feel in the gap. Plus you want soem travel so you dont hit a steel plate and bust something

thanks for the info, i plan on running adapters so i can go either 5 or 6 lug whatever wheels i like at the time the stockies are going no where im going to run 14in wheels because they are really easy to come by in japan and lots of different options as well,will seee i will keep everyone posted when i do something to the truck

i never noticed the hubcaps haha they are different i think, as for the blocks you got pictures of your 3in installed or does anyone? i lke my cars real low and being that im going to run a 14in rim i need to get rid of the gap.

another quick question can i use a front lip or valance from a 620 truck kinda like the bre style on a 510? i found 1 for sale bu hes about 3 hrs away and i dont wanna buy it and find out its not possible

Here are some pics of the lowering blocks and how it sits. 15" tires, don't remember what aspect ratio. Blocks are beltec. I got them from Summit. I had to get longer U bolts. I think most guys remove the overload though, and even one or two leaves.

Sorry, don't know much about 620 valences.

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4462.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg