"F"'d up my instrument panel!

g-mam

Well, not too bad. Got the new Tach in, everything was cool, but the signal indicators were not working for some reason. Found out they just weren't getting a good ground. Then the instruments fell, hit the steering column, and a piece broke off the circuit board. There were two traces there. I Epoxy'd the piece back, dremeled the coating off and soldered the traces back. It works. This is the ony place that the board sticks out past the housings just waiting to be snapped off!

Now, I have a question of course :D

Under the dash, just right of the ashtray opening, there is a silver box, with a connector. This is disconnected on my truck. Can't figure out what it is. Tomorrow I will try to snap a photo. It's been like that since I got the truck, so I'm afraid to just plug it back in. If you have any gueses what it is, let me know.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

g-mam: Sounds like you're a fairly handy guy when it comes to fixin stuff. One certainly needs to be on these trucks. I just checked out what the little silver box is to the right of the ash tray opening is for you. I happen to have a hole where my radio should be in my "77 620. It's the "fasten seat belts" warning buzzer that works in conjunction with the light on the top center of the dash pad. When you turn the ignition key to "on", it'll go beep...beep...beep for a few seconds to drive you nuts. Someone probably disconnected it to preserve the last vestige of their sanity. I could actually reach in and grasp mine while it was buzzing, and could feel it vibrating in sync. Good luck, and I too love those plaid disco era pants.

Dan

He has a '74, so it doesn't have a seatbelt warning buzzer. That didn't happen until '76.

Crap, I was hoping it was that simple. Back to the drawing board :confused:

Here's the repair on the instrument panel. Strange I have continuity between those traces, but I know I do not have a short. They must be related somehow. I connected it and all is well. When I told my wife I did this, she said hell, you'll MacGyver it somehow :lol:

dat_1028.jpg

dat_1030.jpg

Okay, here's the disconnected connector. You can see the part number on the item also.

Any ideas? Google search only gives me ASSY-RELAY(TYPE K24) but no description.

dat_1031.jpg

dat_1033.jpg

dat_1034.jpg

Here's my instrument panel with the Tach installed.

dat_1036.jpg

Well, got the instrument panel all back together and in the dash, all is working well.

Anyone else want to chime in on what that relay does?

This thing still chokes and coughs when I first start it up, but when it gets to temp all seems pretty good. Not sure of the cause.

• 3 years later...

Some early 620 didn't have a dimmer control but '74 and up did. Power flows from the fuse box to the light switch, to the dash lights and from them to the dimmer switch which adjusts the resistance to ground. You may have power to the lamps but to complete the circuit the other side must get to ground.

Power for the illumination lamps comes into the dash on the #4 plug wire and is Green/Blue stripe. The ground return to the dimmer is the #2 plug wire and is Green/Black stripe.