question for the fuel cell guys

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

What kind of pump do you guys use with 'em? Probably a super rook question, but will just your standard walbro 255 240sx pump drop in there? What's the best way to do this? Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on what you are powering .. and what your plans are for your motor going forward. Thats the great thing about fuel cells.. you can run just about whatever you want .. just make sure to match it up to your motors needs.. or do what I did and completely over do it! :D

External is always easier. The only reason I see for manufactures using internal is they can install the sender/pump/tank as one unit on the line. Instead of having to bolt a pump and tank and sender in. It's also slightly quieter depending. For us installing things one at a time anyway and for future repairs and or diagnosis purposes external is just flat out a better option.

I don't think the 240sx will drop in without Modification either because your not using the stock 240zx tank/set up.

Is it baffled? If your going to run a FI motor and it's not you should either add baffling or a surge tank and 2nd pump.

what you can do is get an aftermarket external EFI pump and plumb it in, would be the easiest and you wouldnt have to cut a huge hole in the cell and the lid of the box. then fill about half of the cell with foam, but make sure your fuel pickup has a weight and screen tied to the end.

That will work fine, its about 4 times more pump then a stock ka needs though.

255lph@12.0volt is good up to about 644hp.

You could get a cheaper pump (half that price) that would work fine even if you increased hp dramatically over stock.

You shouldn't ignore the baffle part either, hills, turns, accelerate etc on a low tank and the motor will starve and stall out.

Guest DatsuNoob

I realize the need for a baffle, and will be looking for a fuel cell with one. I'm not big on the idea of running two pumps and a surge tank. Seems to be more complicated than really necessary, and just something else to fix should something go wrong. I think a baffled tank/cell with an external pump is probably what I will do. I already have a walbro pump, given to me from a 1st gen turbo eclipse. Looks the same nearly, but I'm not sure if it can be mounted externally. I'll have to check into it. Thanks for the replies :)

There really is no big problem if you use and aluminum fuel cell. Even plastic type tanks will burst if impacted hard enough. If you have the money and are doing some serious racing, then get a bladder fuel cell with the proper fire box, but for the street, an aluminum one is fine. Really no different than a stock fuel tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob
That will work fine, its about 4 times more pump then a stock ka needs though.

255lph@12.0volt is good up to about 644hp.

You could get a cheaper pump (half that price) that would work fine even if you increased hp dramatically over stock.

You shouldn't ignore the baffle part either, hills, turns, accelerate etc on a low tank and the motor will starve and stall out.

Would you send me a link for one of those pumps that are 1/2 price? Not too stoked on the idea of spending $119 on a pump that's not really necessary. I'd like external too btw. Thanks :)