Battery Breaker...

CorAce

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Im even more confused now, It seem most say its not needed but I still dont feel good about that hot wire running the langth of the car without protection at the battery end. I like the relay idea but I dont know enough about it to feel confident doing it myself.

I know that a good install is the first step in preventing problems, but I would hate to spend hundreds of hours, thousands of dollars, one marriage and two collage funds to bring my car from an over grown lawnmower speed bump in some farmers junk yard starter kit to a mean street scaring tire eating bright red hell fire banshee just to lose the whole thing to a $25 part. That

The problem with a starter fuse or breaker is the variable load that the starter uses. So if you got a fuse or breaker that would blow/trip at 500A (near the top of any starter's amp range), you might blow the fuse if the car was hard to start and "spiked" the amperage. But a bigger problem is that while the wiring can handle that 200-400 normal starting amperage for a few seconds (or even up to a minute) it still gets hot and can still burn up if "Kind of" shorted for many minutes.

That's why the relay (remote "solenoid") is a better idea.