GM 1 wire Alt.

DatDoug

OK. I just bought an L20 motor and it already has the GM Alt. attached. What I need to no is how to wire it into my 620 PU. I have looked allover this forum and seen how to attach 1 and read rants and critisism but nowhere could I find a wiring diagram. If anyone could help that would be great. Thnaks:D

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug

Are you sure that it is a one wire conversion alternator?

I had a one wire on mine and hated it, last week i switched it out for a standard GM alternator. seems better so far.

It is also completely possible to wire in so that your dash light works too.

I have the main charge wire that goes to the battery(white/red stripe), large guage wire.

then terminal #2 is a jumper that goes to the charge stud, this is the exciter wire, basically an external one wire conversion.

Third wire is #1 terminal, this is a small guage white/red wire that goes to the dash light.

How can you HATE an alternator... unless it was just unreliable...

The design of the one wire conversion seems that it was designed to charge great when the rpm's are over about 1100rpm's. Below that and the voltage starts to drop, which means that your headlights start to dim when at stoplights. Screw that.

It is not a problem with the GM alternator, its the one wire conversion. I still have another one on my Landcruiser, it will be getting replaced soon.

Yes, I HATED it. Paid good money for it at the recomendation of the local auto electric shop and it was a poor conversion. Part of this problem is that i now know how to wire the standard alt in and not have this problem.

i love my gm 100 amp one wire alternator from summit racing. all you have to do is rev it once and it kicks on. my alternator does not drop voltage under 1100 rpm's like yello620 datsun's, so i don't experience the dimming he's talking about. it' been going strong for about five years now, and i have all kinds of accessories attached to it.

One wire alternator are great for vehicles with only the bare minimum in accessories. If you have a race car or a very stripped out car, then it should be fine. Yes, they look clean, but, they are not really for everyday type use.

If you are running your car on a regular basis with a full stereo and you like using your lights, wipers and so forth, then stick to a conventional unit and you will me much happier.