KA Alt VS 720 alt

izzo

Couldn't find this information, tho i probably just searched for it wrong.

Need information on 2 alternators. 85 720 alt vs a KA alt

Looking for the dimensions of the brackets where it bolts to the motor to see if 1. Would it be a bolt on application or some work required.

2. Does someone have pictures of the back of them to compare.

Anyone have this info? Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks nis

looks like its a little bit different, obviously the brackets dont match up, looks like the bottom part that bolts to the block is a little different and then the pulleys are off a little

Could be wrong tho.

thanks again for those pics

Thanks nis

looks like its a little bit different, obviously the brackets dont match up, looks like the bottom part that bolts to the block is a little different and then the pulleys are off a little

Could be wrong tho.

thanks again for those pics

The alternator is off a 240sx KA motor (I converted the pulleys as well). The truck KA has a V-belt.

sweet

looks like the hook ups will be exactly the same. 2 plug connector and a wire going to the battery.

Does anyone know if the two prong plug is just for the alt light/meter or is it connected to something else as well.

**edit**

What are the 2 wire connector for that plugs into the alt, and also is the fan on the Z24 pulley attached to the pulley or could i just take it off and use the Z24 pulley on the KA alt

I dont have the z24 alt next to me otherwise i would tear into it now and investigate, im going to be out in the middle of no where with no internet when i do this

Fan is usually separate. I have never seen one that was part of the pulley, but i am sure one exists. Hence-usually separate.

Are you needing a wiring diaghram for both of these alternators?

Kinda.

Just dont want to hook up the plugs backwards, I dont have a plug for the KA alt, but i have little wire connectors that will get me by until i do. I am heading to rainier friday, and there is no internet there and no junk yards around plus ill have my 4 kids. I'd like to figure this out before i head over there so i can just install it during the day and go wheelin at night.

Do you have these wiring diagrams? id think it would be easy to figure this out but just wanna cover my bases. both alternators have 1 wire that goes to battery then a plug with two prongs. Should be straight forward i'd think.

TIM, here are a couple of pictures of the wiring on a VG alternator. The plug with two wires, Large wire is white and small wire is white/black. On the Green label on the alternator is a picture with the wire markings of S and L. Does the KA have this same plug and green label with these markings?

datsunparts002-1.jpg

datsunparts001-1.jpg

I found a wiring diaghram for an 83 720. It too has a large white wire-goes straight to the battery. And it has a white/blue wire that goes to the warning light-would imagine that it is the small wire.

This seems reasonably consistent with the vg pics that i posted. And it would seem crazy to me for nissan to switch those two terminals around on the alternator.:D Betting that they are the same.

On the green tag in the picture. "S" Sense is connected to the battery. "L" is connected to the warning lamp. This is the same for the old style Internally regulated alternators with the "T" style connector too.

Edited by yello620

The post on the back of the alternator is the charge output terminal. The power goes to the battery with that wire.

The large white wire in the plug is the "Sense" wire. It is monitiring what the battery voltage is so it then internally controls the output.

The small "L" wire is the lamp wire. It simply turns the dash light on if the alternator is not charging.

So yes, there is three wires on the alternator.:D You 85 will have three wires also.

Got it

battery bolt goes to batter, then ill jsut check the original altenator for a fat wire and a skinny one and that should take care of its self from there

Ill take some pics while i doooo eeeet. Gonna try and swap the pulleys too cuz i cant afford to go buy one :D

Thanks jason, i appreciate the help. when i was a kid wiring was easy as shit, but seems to be a pita now

Edited by h2theizzo