LZ22 questions

dimus

Hello Guys I'm here again asking dump questions.

But after looking around several times on my country is pretty mush imposible to fin the Z22 engine from a Datsun 720 since there where to few brought in Costa Rica.

But what I was lucky to find is an Z22-E from a Nissan 200SX, this is efi injection.

My question is:

Can I use the Z22-e block the create the infamous LZ22 ?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - that'll work. That's what I'm using for mine.

Of course, just running the full EFI system from the Z22E is nice, too - do you have all the EFI pieces for that motor?

Yes I'm just looking at the all the motor and found it for $200.

Thanks.

I have been looking around and since a little more revy that the truck Z22 one, how do you fell yours.

And what is your to speed with this ?

More revy? The block internals (specifically the crank) are similar between the two; it the Z22E might have ran better since it was fuel injected, or better maintained. As far as the block in an LZ build, I don't recall if there's any significant difference.

I've got an L20b crank in mine, and it's bored out a little, and it revs just fine, although I'm having a carb-or-timing problem at the moment, but that's unrelated to your situation.

If I had it to do over again, I'd consider just throwing the whole fuel-injected Z22 in the car and call it done. If you have all the EFI pieces, it might be quicker to get that installed and done than it is to build up an L/Z hybrid.

I can't use Efi because I'm racing the car in a Stock A category and I should look like the usual L16 :D

Another question.

Looking around online I found that the Z22e pistons are

Z22E, late------------32.1mm **/ ? / 87mm bore

but I found on ebay this set of pistons

Datsun Z 240Z 280Z 510 620 New 86.5mm Flat Top Pistons

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-240Z-280Z-510-620-New-86-5mm-Flat-Top-Pistons_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem5d25a59bf8QQitemZ400063568888QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Would this work better that the Z22e pistons on my Franky ?

Looking around online I found that the Z22e pistons are

Z22E, late------------32.1mm **/ ? / 87mm bore

but I found on ebay this set of pistons

Datsun Z 240Z 280Z 510 620 New 86.5mm Flat Top Pistons

The 32.1mm ** is the piston pin height in millimeters. The Datsun pistons on sale are 38.1mm pin height... so if you put them on your rods the pistons will stick up at least 6mm higher than the block surface and hit the head. This is a no no.

You won't be needing flat tops as an L head on a larger displacement motor will raise it anyway. For example, an open chamber head on an LZ 22 will have a compression of about 10 to 1. Best to take the head off and see what piston dish you have on it. Could be 9.32cc or even flat tops with valve notches in it. This is because there are two different pin heights and rod lengths available.

Edited by datzenmike

Measure the bore and compare to the max/min wear allowable. These are tough little motors and often just need to be honed and new rings. Just inspect the pistons carefully. If they are in good shape run them. Make sure you get the correct rings. There are two different pistons for the Z22 motor (maybe more if they are for the Z22S) Generally the Z22E have thinner top rings.

You could over bore to the largest oversize piston however.

If you are hot to overbore the Z22, think about going to 89mm. This would allow KA24E pistons on L20B rods to fit your Z22 block and crank. This would give a 2.3liter 9.9 compression motor when using an easily available open chamber U-67 L head. The U67 head has square exhaust ports like the stock L16. How simple is that?

Hard to say if the SUs will be enough for 2.2 (or 2.3) liters. What size were the Z car or Roadster SUs????

Edited by datzenmike
It seems pretty simple for going 2.3 but the L20B rods are the same as the L16 I already have on my engine ?

No. L16 rods are 133mm.

The L20B rods are 145.9mm long. The KA24E piston pin height is 34mm. Added together plus half the Z22 stroke (46mm) must add up to, but not exceed the Z22 block height of 227.45mm. Lets see...

145.9mm rod

034.0mm pin

046.0mm 1/2 stroke of a Z22

_______

225.9mm which is well under the 227.45mm deck height.

L20B rods are plentiful as are used stock KA24E pistons. Make sure they are E and not DE pistons from a KA motor. Another advantage of the KA24E pistons is that they have fully floating piston pins.

Edited by datzenmike
Measure the bore and compare to the max/min wear allowable. These are tough little motors and often just need to be honed and new rings. Just inspect the pistons carefully. If they are in good shape run them. Make sure you get the correct rings. There are two different pistons for the Z22 motor (maybe more if they are for the Z22S) Generally the Z22E have thinner top rings.

You could over bore to the largest oversize piston however.

If you are hot to overbore the Z22, think about going to 89mm. This would allow KA24E pistons on L20B rods to fit your Z22 block and crank. This would give a 2.3liter 9.9 compression motor when using an easily available open chamber U-67 L head. The U67 head has square exhaust ports like the stock L16. How simple is that?

Hard to say if the SUs will be enough for 2.2 (or 2.3) liters. What size were the Z car or Roadster SUs????

im using this for a shopping list mike :P