Uuuuhhh, why are my 521 brake lights on. No matter what?

I've been driving the 521 for a few months now as my daily. (my girl is driving my Frontier until I can fix her SE-R) Today, we took a day off and went to the beach. when I got ready to leave, I noticed that the tail lights were on.

Headlight position: off

Ignition: off

Brakes: off

I had my girlfriend then sit in the truck and pump the brakes, turn the lights on and off, ect...

No change whatsoever in the fully illuminated brake lights.

they did not get brighter when she touched the brakes, so I'm pretty sure that it's the brake lights and not the tail lights I'm having issues with...

I had to disconnect the battery just to keep it from dying in the driveway.

I was fiddling with the switch on the pedal assembly that activates the lights, but with no change...

Any suggestions on how to begin to troubleshoot this one?

Thanks guys/gals! :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the switch backed out of the threads? A way to check is to get up under the dash and check at the end of the pedal. With the pedal depressed, the switch would extend out from the housing and the lights would be on. With the pedal not depressed, it holds the switch closed, and the lights stay off. If the switch is stripped or came unscrewed for any reason, it would stay on all the time (as you describe). Disconnect the switch before twisting it back into the threads, otherwise the wires get tangled up (or crossed, causing the lights to come on unexpectedly...:eek:

Check the switch for operation, then rule it out (sometimes the contacts get all fubar, and they stay on...)

there is a plate that pushes the switch plunger when the pedal is all the way out. Sometimes they fall off and the plunger in the switch ust goes thru the hole and the plunger isnt getting pressed. I got a Penny and JB weld it on there.

other wise pull the wirew and OHM it out with a meter. if shorted all the time (pushed in or out)then I guess its bad.( i dont bleieve it )

there is a plate that pushes the switch plunger when the pedal is all the way out. Sometimes they fall off and the plunger in the switch ust goes thru the hole and the plunger isnt getting pressed. I got a Penny and JB weld it on there.

other wise pull the wirew and OHM it out with a meter. if shorted all the time (pushed in or out)then I guess its bad.( i dont bleieve it )

My 620 was the same way. I fixed the problem by jb welding a bolt into the brake pedal.

just some FYI for the other 521 guys...... by '71, they had switches on the pedal. Mid '70 and earlier used the pressure switch mounted to the firewall. It's a nice safetly upgrade to change to the pedal version....brake lights come on as soon as you press the pedal...instead of after some pressure has built up. :)

UPDATE:

Thanks everyone- Just as predicted, the plunger of the switch was passing directly through a hole in what used to be a plastic plate on the pedal. ( I don't know why they wouldn't have made it metal in the first place, but whatever...)

I simply slid a 10mm bolt and a washer into the hole, with a nylock nut on the back, and BINGO! back in business!

Thanks everyone! This is why I love Ratsun- :D You guys don't fill a page with stupid sarcastic replies (unless they're really funny...) or make fun of stupid questions; you all just give lend your expertise and experiences, and honestly try to help members here.

Thanks! good stuff...