FJ20E "B"trans into a B310?

how hard would it be to get an S12 FJ20E transmission into an 81 Datsun 210 (Datsun Sunny B310)

I have three extra FJ20 transmissions(motors are shot at the moment) and one LHD FJ trans

has anyone tried getting one of these into a B310? what about getting an KA24/SR20 trans in? I'm not partial to the A-series motors and would be willing to swap if it were easier, i just want to get away from the 3spd autotragic that is in the car

and Ive tried looking for a stock 5speed for it, impossible to find for me...

thanks

tim

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B310 is same platform as A10 (1978-1981 Datsun 510)

I suspect the tunnel is the same size, so 71-series transmissions will perhaps fit. You will want a "stubby" (short) transmission so the shift comes up in the stock hole, and you can use the stock B310 auto driveshaft.

The A14 came with an F4W60 4 spd. and an optional FS5W60 5spd. The 5 spd. was a dogleg before '80 and regular pattern after. I don't believe an FS5W71B tranny was ever mated to the A series motors so there won't be any out there.

If you want a 5spd you will have to swap a motor and 5spd. tranny into your 210. A '77-'79 200sx w/ L20B and FS5W63 dogleg 5spd. would be 'close'. It has a short length, around 26", and the tranny is physically smallish and might fit your tunnel. If your automatic is 26" long you could use the same driveshaft as long as the spline size is the same.

A KA/SR motor and tranny is iffy. As far as the tranny, the FS5W71C is L O N G at over 33" (D-21) or 35" (S-12). (give or take)

I assume the FJ20E transmission is an FS5W71C like the KA?? Can you post a few pictures of it???

i think that the point i want to go to an FS5W71C is when i would go KA/SR/FJ, which right now all i want to do is drive the crap out of it and get every MPG that i can squeeze out of it, ill worry about performance later if i get board of my 500hp FJ20 S12 :D(still being built... slowly lol.) Wonder what I'd have to do to get it to the "MPG" version status, the one that got 56mpg back in the day...

I don't know how long the transmission are, but i could possibly find a 71C out of an S12(came in the SEv6 and some l4 models) which I know is shorter than the one in the 240sx, which also makes me think that they might fit, id just have to find a b310 bell housing(which means i should probably stick to finding an entire trans instead)

the FJ trans is a 71B trans, same thing out of a 280ZX, DR30 Skyline and the MKI S12s. heres a pic from someone with a Btrans, maybe that might provide more info

so what your saying is that the automatic motor/trans share the same bolt pattern and the 5speed/trans motor share a different pattern? thats teh gayz...

also, i haven't found anything on the "A10 510", apparently production was 67-73 or something like that

Edited by FJ20_S12
i think that the point i want to go to an FS5W71C is when i would go KA/SR/FJ, which right now all i want to do is drive the crap out of it and get every MPG that i can squeeze out of it, ill worry about performance later if i get board of my 500hp FJ20 S12 :D(still being built... slowly lol)

I don't know how long the transmission are, but i could possibly find a 71C out of an S12(came in the SEv6 and some l4 models) which I know is shorter than the one in the 240sx, which also makes me think that they might fit, id just have to find a b310 bell housing(which means i should probably stick to finding an entire trans instead)

the FJ trans is a 71B trans, same thing out of a 280ZX and the MKI S12s

what your saying is that the automatic motor/trans share the same bolt pattern and the 5speed/trans motor share a different pattern? thats teh gayz...

wonder what id have to do to get it to the "MPG" version status, the one that got 56mpg back in the day...

also, i haven't found anything on the "A10 510", apparently production was 67-73 or something like that

First the A14 was out of production by the time the FS5W71C was built so there are no A series front cases that will fit the C type tranny. There won't be any B type either. A 71 tranny won't bolt to the A14 motor.

Second, the automatic bolt pattern for your A series motor in the 210 is the same as the 4 and optional 5 speed tranny for that car. The only 4 and 5 speeds that will fit the A series is the F4W60 and the FS5W60 and possibly an FS5W63 tranny. That's as large as they went for such a small powered motor.

Third, the D-21 Hardbody truck with Z24i and KA motors (maybe the VG 6s) had the shortest FS5W71C type tranny around 33" with the S-13 slightly longer:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/S-13andS-12MKIICtypes.jpg[/img]"]S-13andS-12MKIICtypes.jpg

Converting to a standard is a lot of work and parts. Even a 4 spd. would be better than the auto. You should also swap in a lower gear standard tranny rear end to lower top speed revs. There are some 3.545 in some 210s out there which is far lower than the auto 3.889 ratio.

I figured he was swapping in the FJ engine too ... A10 is 1978-1982 "Datsun 510". Called Stanza in Japan. It has the short tail 63-series 5-speed for L16/L20 engine. The engine bell housing bolt patten is the same auto/manual. L-series, A-series have different bolt pattern. Manual do not have a separate bell housing, but automatics do. So some guys cut the front case of a 5-speed and weld on a modified auto bell housing. But that is pointless with the FJ engine, because you have FJ 5-speeds.

The B310 has a large tunnel, designed for the 63-series and JATCO automatic. Even the tiny tunnel in a B110 fits the 63-series, but is a tight fit with not enough room for the reverse switch.

The short-tail 63-series 5-speed is direct bolt in to B310, using stock (auto) driveshaft.

* A-engine with 63-series 5-speed (only available in short tail version)

* L-engine with 63-series 5-speed (short tail, not long tail)

the A14 was out of production by the time...
Last I checked in 2007, the A14 was still in production. But there's no reason the 71-series transmission would have been fitted. Even the 63-series is too strong for A14 use. Nissan first fitted the 63- 5speed to the B210 with A14 because that's all they had, then hurriedly designed the 60-series 5speed in time for B310. It's a lot lighter, and tough even behind the A14 and A15. Edited by ggzilla

Nah, even Kiwis don't make that kind of torque from an A-engine. Aussies do swaps of Toyo and other gearboxes becuase the A-series 5-speed gearboxes sell for $1500 used in Australia. Otherwise they would use the 63-series 5-speed from B210 on their supercharged/turbo engines if they want something strong enough. But strong and cheap...supply and demand.

• 4 weeks later...

Both the 71C short and 71B should have the same shifter location, give or take a little. The 71B I have behind my FJ20 measures out at around 33".

I think the early D21 71C had a shorter trans like you are looking for, but don't quote me.

I've only started looking into this to replace my 71B with a better box rather than rebuild it. Was looking for a 200SX short "C", but now looking for an RB20 box...;)

The FS5W71'B' were almost all 31.5" long. I do have a 'B' that is 26.3 but it has a Z series 'bell' on it. I believe there are only two lengths.

The 280z only used the 4 and 5 speed B type that were 31.5" The zx used only the 31.5" 5 speed and the zx turbo used the T-5 which was slightly longer but I doubt it was 35".

The '86.5-'90? D-21 Hardbody used a shorty 'C' type but they are still just slightly longer than the B type at around 33' I think.

BTW.... Nice pictures of the trannys daily driver!

toyota%205%20spd%20trans.jpg This has a removable bell?? What's it off of???

Edited by datzenmike

That picture is supposed to be an early D21 box. The thing that makes comparing measurements of the "B" and "C" hard is that they differ on the tail shaft. The "C" has the driveshaft sleeve on the transmission and the "B" has it on the DS. I guess a measurement to the shifter pin would be more accurate in most cases. Or maybe to the rear mount?? :confused:My Skyline trans is 750mm to the shifter pin.

• 4 weeks later...