1964 Datsun L320, soon to be a 12A rotary with 5 speed.

Mini-L320

Ok so I have a 12A Rotary Engine:D from a First Gen Rx7 with a 5speed tranny that is going on my L320 pick up:D. It seems like I need to customize some engine mounts for the engine to get bolted on:mad:, but the engine fits in there with no problems:D. I will get pictures soon. As for the tranny (Rx7 5speed) is a bit bigger than the L320 tranny but its not a problem. I have the 4 speed on the Column but gonna switch it to 5 speed on the floor. For the rear end I think I might just leave the original rear end that came with the truck. I have a LSD from a GSL-SE rx7 but that may go on way later on when I need it. Well like I said I will get pictures of this project.:)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks again fisch. I got the Fender that I needed from Ted (tdaaj), if it wasnt for this forum I dont think I would have had a chance to find the fender over here in CT. Thanks again for everyone having me. I am going to get pictures today and post them up ASAP later on. Thank you.

I have other goodies that might go under the hood for better performance like: Aluminum Radiator, MSD Ignition, Maybe a TURBOCHARGER(who knows:lol:)I have it laying around in my garage:D, thats about it for now.

If anybody has some other suggestions let me know: give me so other goodies. I know you all want to see this thing moving:D

But before I mount the engine and tranny completely Im gonna get the Engine bay completely repainted. Help Me out a bit.

Should I get the engine bay FLAT BLACK, Glossy Black, Or The same color that it has now?

I have someone already who is going to paint the whole truck the same color that it is now with a FLAT black Hood. I think its gonna look mean looking, and paint the GRILL Black. I dont think Im gonna put the front bumber on it, who knows what do you guys think?

Personally, I would get the engine and tranny mounted and all the datails worked out before you paint. That way all you welding, grinding and drilling will be done before you start the pretty stuff. I would also paint the whole thing the stock color. And don't paint that beautiful grill.

sweet project. im going to be putting a 12a in my nl320 real soon too. definitely take lots of pics. evybody here at ratsun loves em.

I have all the measurements all set and done. Im gonna start putting the engine and tranny in on Wednesday hopefully let see how the day is.

The only problem that I encountered was the header:mad:,

what issue did you have with the header? i have a racingbeat header for mine and was wondering if there was going to be any issues. im also planning a stock floor body drop which may cause even more possibly clearance problems.

DSC00063.jpgOk so the header is hitting the A-arm meaning that the engine wont be placed perfectly in the middle of the bay there for the the drive shaft would have to be set at an angle to fit on the rear end. because the engine was shifted to the right a little more so its not lined up exactly in the middle. Edited by Mini-L320
DSC00064.jpgthis is the header, and it needs to be shifted to the left a bit more but that first tube wont let me, now if the first tube was up and over the second then it would be able to fit in perfectly there for the engine can be put in exactly the middle. Edited by Mini-L320

So what I came up with is, why not flip the header around and cut them in half, and make a curve piece to make the header curve inside the wheel well so that I can make another curve to connect another tube to the header up and over the a-arm(from the inside where the rim/tire is) so that it can then be brought all the way to the back with no problems.

Edited by Mini-L320

i dont have my header to look at it at the moment but from memory it seems that there might be enough room on the tubes to shorten it a little. you would cut the flange off and a little bit of the tubes and reweld it back on. im not sure how far of an issue it is but even if you have to change the angle of the beginning of the header, it would be better than having an offset motor.

edit: that was before i saw the second pic was up. that is a lot closer than i thought. ill take a look at mine tonight and see if i can think of something to help.

Edited by LAYEDOUTB2K

You guys may be better off to put your engines in without the headers and build them around what you have.

Personally, I have never been around a rotory engine to see how the exhaust mounts or even where it mounts. I guess I could go find some pictures and see what comes to mind.

Anyone remember the 320 with the step in the back...I think it was in OK or TX....it had a rotary in it. He came on all gung ho...then tried to sell.....then came back and did some more work. I remember seeing lots of pics, but I can seem to find anything with the search eng.

IIRC about the rotary, he may have an answer about the header.

i forgot about that rotaryed 320. heres his build thread. IIRC he bought the truck with the motor in it but he may be able to answer questions. http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3763

i noticed my header is alot different than yours and has a lower profile width wise so i dont think i can be much help on that.