L16 Tapping Sound At Idle

After working through some tuning issues, my wagon actually idles and runs really well now, but it has a tapping sound at idle. I adjusted the valve clearances, and that improved performance, but didn't change the sound at all. The timing chain also seemed tight when I had the valve cover off.

What other things should I check?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After working through some tuning issues, my wagon actually idles and runs really well now, but it has a tapping sound at idle. I adjusted the valve clearances, and that improved performance, but didn't change the sound at all. The timing chain also seemed tight when I had the valve cover off.

What other things should I check?

Could be your fuel pump. Its mechanical and makes a slight tapping noise. Put your ear up to it and see if that is what you are hearing.

Ita a normal sound.

Thanks guys. I'll check the fuel pump. I didn't even consider that. It's hard to tell where the sound is coming from. I tried listening through a piece of hose in several places, but couldn't tell. A friend of mine has one of those doctors stethiscopes with a probe on the end. I might try to borrow that today and see if I can narrow down the location.

get a wooded dowl and put it on the motor with your ear on the other end and listen . as you move it around the sound will change. then when its the loudest that your problem part or area :blink:

Hey freaky,

Thanks for the tip. I didn't have a wood dowel, so I used a metal rod about 1/8" thick. It worked pretty well, but I still couldn't find the noise. I don't think it's the fuel pump. When I put it on different parts of the fuel pump, I can hear a noise that I'm guessing is the arm riding on the the ecentric, but it's different from the tapping sound I'm hearing. didn't have much time to check though. I'll keep trying.