j13 to L20b swap

Cahoon520

Well I have givin up on rebuilding my j13 I only could find about 90% of the parts needed.

I have found a L20b and five speed tranny with motor mounts alternator manifolds and whatever else I will need.

1 Has anyone ever done this swap?

2 Will motor mount locations need to be changed?

3 What about the transmission mount?

4 Will my drive shaft work or will it need to be shortened?

5 will my radiator be big enough?

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but not me

Yes, because the J-mounts are on the front of the engine and the L-series ones are mid-engine. It will require welding.

Yes, it has to be changed and relocated. All 5-speeds have the mount in a different spot than the old 4-speed

Depends on the 5-speed. If it's the longtail, you'll need a shorter driveshaft, and you will need to modify the transmission tunnel as it's too small and the shifter hole isn't in the right place

No, and the hoses won't be in the right place, AND you will have clearance issues do to the 520's shorter nose (it's doable, just takes some fabricating and parts hunting

Yes, but not me

Yes, because the J-mounts are on the front of the engine and the L-series ones are mid-engine. It will require welding.

Yes, it has to be changed and relocated. All 5-speeds have the mount in a different spot than the old 4-speed

Depends on the 5-speed. If it's the longtail, you'll need a shorter driveshaft, and you will need to modify the transmission tunnel as it's too small and the shifter hole isn't in the right place

No, and the hoses won't be in the right place, AND you will have clearance issues do to the 520's shorter nose (it's doable, just takes some fabricating and parts hunting

Good to know was thinking of putting a L18 into my 520, know i was going to be doing some welding and other misc stuff, now i leaning on doing a KA or SA swap. Not to sure yet.

Any L/LZ 4 cylinder is a tight fit in the 520. I did an '81 LZ20/dogleg 5 speed into my 520....not a whole lot of empty space in the engine compartment when I was done. I was able to use the stock 520 one piece driveshaft. Fabricated mounts for the engine and transmission. Truck LZ20 oil pump pickup, and oil pan. Stock 4.87 rear, which should have been swapped out to 3.90, or so. The swap itself is not bad, but the details will determine how successful it will be. A KA, or even an LZ24 might end up being too tall for the 520's ....the front of the hood just cleared the LZ20, and it slopes down fairly quick, a 1" body lift would fix that problem, but it seems most people want a low vehicle.

Engine swaps take time. If this is your daily driver, it will be unusable for twice as long as you figured, plus 3 more months for working the bugs out, plus 2 more months for a cushion.

Would I do another swap? Oh, hell yes! Just not sure about doing a Datsun....

Still,

Crabby

Hey bro. Good luck on the motor swap. As you can see its gonna be a nightmare from hell brother. Theres no room in there dog. Better off doing what you can with the J13.

I wish I could keep the j13 but I can't. I am up for the challenge I once put a 351 Cleveland(big block) into a Mustang II that was a Bitch.

I hope to get the l20 and 200sx 5 speed this week. If anyone needs j13 parts just let me know and you can have them.

Cahoon520,

Look at my build thread. There are pictures of my 520 bare frame with a L20B 5 speed in it. My brother Garret and I took stock mounts (Motor Mount Towers & rubber mounts) from a 1980 720. I recommend if you have the equipment and fabrication skills to pick a more common rubber motor mount and fabricate brackets. The older Datsun motor mounts are getting a little hard to locate.

One thing you need to watch is clearance for the radiator/fan. I am putting an automatic trans in mine instead of the the 5 speed pictureed. I am installing a 1976 620 automatic 3 core radiator and an thermally controlled electric fan. The engine compartment of the 520 is approximately 5" shorter than a 521 between the radiator support frame and the firewall. Right know my cab is sitting on a 2" lift with stock body mount bushings under them. This heighth allows me to pull engine and trans together in one piece. I will determine final height of the body lift after I get my motor put together and bolted to my rebuilt auto transmission & set in the truck.

Link to my build:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=9371

Edited by Charlie69
spelling
  • 10 months later...
<br>Cahoon520,<br>I just pulled my J13 and am considering a rebuild.  What rebuild parts did you have difficulty locating?<br>Keith<br>
<div>Hey Keith Wow this is a old thread I never even ended up doing this swap I went with sd22 instead but any ways I problems finding the valves alot of the seals. The head needed alot of work because it was made for leaded gas so all the valve seats needed to be replaced. I am sure if you wanted to spend the time you might be able to find the parts needed. </div><div>John<br><br><br>

</div>

Cahoon520,

I have been researching the J13 specs and find that that J15 and J16 have a lot a similarity.

My cam is very pitted and I have not been able to find a replacement.

I have a couple of options,

Rebuild the J13 with a J15 cam (readily available since it was also used on the Nissan/Datsun Forklift and also on the BMC (MGA single cam engines from 1956-1963??) Leave the cylinders with the 1300 bore.

Bore the block to accept J15 pistons and replace the head with the J15 cam and valves

Find a J13 motor locally in operable condition - slim chance on this one

I do not want to upgrade to a L16 or other motor, the truck is so clean and I prefer to keep it original.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Keith