My Forgotten 521 Project

Well not really forgotten. More like put on the back burner 521 project. I've wanted to get back into Datsuns for the last few years, but having a struggling small business makes it tough (no time, no money). Last summer when gas prices reached record highs, I decided I had a valid excuse to get one.

I was driving a 1/2 ton van, so the savings in fuel would eventually pay for the inexpensive little datsun (don't laugh it was a good theory if I didn't keep making "improvements" to my datsun). I really wanted a 510 wagon, but I couldn't seem to find one. I also really liked the 521s. When I found one on craigs list I decided to do it.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures in the early stages of this project. I was just planning to get it on the road quick. When gas prices went back down, and our business got hectic, I got destracted from the project. Then I got the wagon that was almost running, and all my attention went to it.

Here are some pictures I took this weekend after I cleared all the junk from around it.

IMG_4463.jpg

Front view with aluminum scirroco radiator showing. passenger side fender is pretty bad. Fortunately I found two almost perfect front fenders that will eventually go on.

IMG_4467.jpg

Flintstone Power!

IMG_4447.jpg

Here are some more details of the radiator retrofit. In this first picture you can see how it is pushed forward into the front core support area. This is to allow enough room for an electric puller fan with a shroud.

IMG_4455.jpg

Here is the sheetmetal enclosure I made to contain the radiator. It's kind of a partial box. The radiator is supported by hard closed cell foam on all sided.

IMG_4457.jpg

These are the pieces of sheetmetal I removed from the core support area to move the radiator box forward. I added significant reinforcements to make up for the removed pieces.

IMG_4444.jpg

These clamps on each side will have 1/4" foam pads to hold the radiator in the box.

IMG_4482.jpg

This is what the clamp looks like

IMG_4485.jpg

Even with all this work, there isn't a lot of room between the radiator and the water pump

IMG_4476.jpg

The radiator with some temp 1/4" foam stuck to the front for mockup

IMG_4459.jpg

Other changes are:

-Lowered 3"

-New brake shoes and hardware on all wheels

-New rear wheel bearing and seals

-New rear brake lines

-New rear U joint

-Longer rear wheel studs

-New rear wheel cylinders

-Some cheap CL wheels and tires

-New clutch MC

-New clutch slave cyclinder

-New water pump

-New bench seat brackets (someone had cut out the stock ones)

-New battery

-32/36 weber (stolen to go on the wagon)

Don't remember the rest. Here are more pics

IMG_4462.jpg

Partially rebuilt heater now covered with dust from cutting out the floor.

IMG_4451.jpg

One of my new seat brackets

IMG_4480.jpg

The stock bench seat I got

IMG_4486.jpg

I guess that's it for now.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang the work on your radiator support/box is REALLY nice. Makes me want to do something like that on my 510.

Thanks yellow. It was actually pretty fun, but it took a lot longer than I thought it would. I forgot to post a pic of it with the grill on. I will most likely paint the front black to hide it behind the grill. I know the aluminum looks kind of cool, but I want a stock look from the outside.

IMG_4477.jpg

Edited by 72wagun
can't seem to spell

Thanks guys,

fisch,

Your Oil Drop thread was one of the ones I kept an eye on while I was working on parts of my 521. It was one of the few active 521 threads at the time. I like the old school look of your truck. I liked these wheels when I got them, but I'm actually leaning toward something a little older looking. Probably something steel thats kind of different. btw, it kind of goes without saying, but your datsun drawings are great. I'd like my truck to have a little of that "look".

dat521kid,

I didn't really explain the latest on the 521 very well. I was talking privately to another ratsun member, and mentioned the 521 and the radiator install. He said I should at least get some pictures of it up. So, here they are. This is kind of just a starter thread for this project. It probably won't be very active in the short term. My wagon is apart at the moment, and I need to get it back on the road. I'm kind of excited to get back on it eventually though. When I cleaned up the garage and stated taking pictures, I thought "I forgot how cool 521s are!"

Glad to see you got the pics up. Lucky I found the thread :)

So you have a sheet metal brake? Sweet. Nice work on the brackets!!!

In the list of stuff, I didn't see floor panels.....so it's still sportin' Flintstone floors?

521 and a wagon....perfect combo!!!! :)

Glad to see you got the pics up. Lucky I found the thread :)

So you have a sheet metal brake? Sweet. Nice work on the brackets!!!

In the list of stuff, I didn't see floor panels.....so it's still sportin' Flintstone floors?

521 and a wagon....perfect combo!!!! :)

Yeah, taking some pictures was good motivation to clean up the garage. I could barely walk in there:D

I have a brake and shear on indefinite loan from a friend. They are the big heavy kinds (from the 40s or 50s I think). they weigh a ton. They are really fun to make stuff with.

Still no floor pans:rolleyes: I got the wagon just after I cut them out. That's when progress on the pickup stopped. I've got the sheet metal waiting though.

I like the pickup/wagon combo. I plan to get rid of my cargo van when I have them both running. Both of my datsuns are pretty practical, and their cool too:D